Visa Information

What is a visa?

A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry and request permission from the U.S. immigration officer to enter the United States. It does not guarantee entry into the U.S. 

What type of visa do I need to become an academic student in the U.S.?

Most non-U.S. citizens who wish to study in the U.S. will seek an F-1 (non-immigrant) student visa, but there are other visa types that are sometimes authorized for those who study in the U.S.

  • F-1 or Student Visa: This visa is the most common for those who wish to engage in academic studies in the U.S. It is for people who want to study at an accredited U.S. college or university or to study English at a university or intensive English language institute.
  • J-1 or Exchange Visa: This visa is for people who will be participating in an exchange visitor program in the U.S. The “J” visa is for education and cultural exchange programs.
  • M-1 or Student Visa: This visa is for those who will be engaged in non-academic or vocational study or training at an institution in the U.S.

How do I get a visa?

Once you pay your enrollment deposit to Hartwick College, you will receive an I-20 AB form that will be completed by Kaitlin Huemer,, the Designated School Official and International Student Advisor. Once you receive the appropriate paperwork, you will need to sign the I-20, pay the Visa Fee called I-901 and then schedule a visa appointment with your closest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.

Back To Top