As an alum of Hartwick College, you could save hundreds1 on quality auto insurance.
Or call 1-844-875-6528
for a free rate quote.
Know you’re protected on the road
Liberty Mutual offers premium protection without the premium price. You can enjoy the benefits of Liberty Mutual Insurance at a price you and your budget can live with.
Getting a quote is fast and easy. Get started now or call 1-844-875-6528.
New Car Replacement2
12-Month Rate Guarantee
24-Hour Claims Assistance
Teaching Your Teens to Be Safe and Smart on Social Media
Whether it’s on their computers, tablets or smartphones, most teenagers go online multiple times a day. And a lot of that time is spent on various social media networks. In fact, 71% of teens use more than one social network.
Because posts can live online forever, it’s better for your teens to learn good habits early. There are various ways you can make sure they are being safe and smart on social media.
Username and password safety
Being safe with passwords and usernames is a great way your teens can protect themselves from things like identity theft or having someone else misuse their accounts.
• Advise your teens to create a username that doesn’t contain any personal information such as name, birthday or address.
• Encourage them to create hard-to-guess passwords and to change them regularly to avoid being hacked.
• Remind your teens to log out of sessions on shared computers.
• Advise your teens to stay away from strangers on the Internet, just like in real life. This can help them avoid unwanted and potentially dangerous encounters.
It’s important for your teens to have an understanding of the effect their social media posts could have on their lives, including future job searches.
• Encourage them to avoid making inflammatory statements, trolling and bullying.
• A picture that they are tagged in can be seen by people they might not want to see it. If this happens, they should remove the tag or ask the person posting the image to do so.
• An inappropriate photo or post has the potential to go viral, so tell your teen to be thoughtful when posting. If they aren’t sure if they should post it or not, don’t post it.
• Explain that people can take screenshots of posts, so they could circulate even after they’ve been deleted.
Managing their privacy
By managing who sees their social media posts, your teens can avoid some unintended consequences at school and in the future.
• Show them how to control privacy settings and who sees their posts.
• They can avoid predators by only accepting invitations from people they know, and allowing only trusted users to add them as a friend or follower.
• Remind them not to post personal information like their social security number or their home location, and to use caution if you go on a family vacation – this helps prevent break-ins while you’re away.
Social media is a great way for your teens to stay connected and share experiences. By teaching them best practices, you can help ensure that they get the most out of their online experiences.
Liberty stands with you to keep you protected online, as well as at home and on the road. Get your free, no-obligation quote on Liberty Mutual home and auto insurance by calling 844-875-6528 or by visiting libertymutual.com/hartwick.
1Discounts and savings are available where state laws and regulations allow, and may vary by state. To the extent permitted by law, applicants are individually underwritten; not all applicants may qualify.
2Applies to a covered total loss. Your car must be less than one year old, have fewer than 15,000 miles and have had no previous owner. Does not apply to leased vehicles or motorcycles. Subject to applicable deductible. Not available in NC or WY.
3For qualifying customers only. Subject to terms and conditions of Liberty Mutual’s underwriting guidelines. Not available in CA and may vary by state.
Liberty Mutual Insurance is licensed in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
This organization receives financial support for allowing Liberty Mutual to offer this auto and home insurance program.
Coverage provided and underwritten by:
Liberty Mutual Insurance Company and its affiliates
175 Berkeley Street, Boston, MA.