Registration & Payment Information
Dates of Awakening:
Saturday, August 18 -Wednesday, August 22, 2018. Welcome Weekend begins for all first year students on Wednesday, August 22, 2018.
Complete the Awakening registration form, including the personal information, course credit options, and medical forms.
The fee to participate in Awakening is $500.00. After receiving your deposit, the remaining balance will appear on your first Hartwick bill.
Awakening Registration Form
Please send your $100 deposit AND completed registration forms to the Director of Awakening, Attn: Director of Awakening, Hartwick College, 1 Hartwick Drive, Oneonta, NY 13820.
Line-up of Credit Options for 2018:
- PHED-105 Awakening Physical Education (1 credit): Experiential learning through various aspects of Adventure following Challenge by Choice Ethics. Activities may include: hiking, camping, swimming, boating, challenge course elements, community service, cooking, character development, reflection, and more!
- INTR 150 Nature Writing – Professor Fest (1 credit) In this course, students will write creatively in and about the outdoors, taking advantage of the scenic and environmental resources at Hartwick’s Pine Lake Environmental Campus. Students will compose in a variety of genres, will share their work with each other in a writing workshop, and will read and discuss selected works of nature writing, including fiction, poetry, and essays.
- INTR 150 Life in Water – Professor Kuhlmann (1 credit) Explore the biodiversity of life in the aquatic habitats at the Pine Lake Environmental Campus, including Pine Lake, Charlotte Creek, and others.
- INTR 150 Mysteries of a Kettle Lake – Professor Balogh-Brunstad (1 credit) This course will introduce students to basic limnology and water analytical skills through hands-on exercises in a field setting, emphasizing sustainable water management.
- INTR 150 Sustainable Foodshed and Farming — Professor Davies (1 credit) In this course will examine and discuss the value of a local foodshed and sustainable farming. We will meet with local farmers to understand the challenges and opportunities in a local foodshed.
- INTR 150: Mindfulness – Professor Wisnewski (1 credit) What does it mean to be mindful? In this course, we’ll address this question in both theory and practice. In addition to reading some ancient philosophy and some contemporary neuroscience, we’ll learn and practice several meditation techniques. WARNING: meditation can be very challenging!
- INTR 150: Star Wars and History – Professor Lacy (1 credit) What does Luke Skywalker have to do with young adults eager to go fight in the First World War? Discover this through deep reading of journals and memoirs of some of the soldiers who fought in WWI. Learn how history can also be a process of self-discovery and how muddy trenches (and swamp planets) are counterparts to formal academies.
- If you cancel before June 15th, your $100 deposit will be refunded.
- If you cancel between June 15th – July 15th, there will be no refund of your deposit.
- If you cancel after July 15th, there will be no refund of your deposit and a drop fee of $50 will be assessed.
- If you withdraw after beginning the program, refunds on the balance will be made only for serious health reasons.
Limited to 50 students on a first-come, first-served basis.
Before You Register:
- If you plan to be on an athletic team, check with your coach about possible conflicts between Awakening and pre-season activities.
For more information, call the Director of Awakening at 607-431-4547 or email email@example.com
Arrival & Registration For Awakening
We are looking forward to seeing you very soon at Hartwick for the Awakening Program. This is a last reminder of important information for you.
Registration Day Schedule:
8:30 – Noon: Registration for Awakening at Saxton Hall 1st Floor Lounge. Saxton Hall is the first building on the left when you pull into Hartwick Drive (Hartiwck’s Main Entrance) from West Street. Vehicles can park in Saxton’s small parking lot or the parking lot above in the Holmes Hall parking lot. Follow signs and or staff to the 1st floor lobby for check-in. You MUST register at Saxton Hall to receive the day’s schedule and pick up your room keys.
8:30 – Noon: Move in to residence hall. You will be able to move directly into your residence hall room on the main campus once you pick up your keys at Registration. Check in with your RA in your building, then you may unload your gear in your room. Be sure to have your Awakening gear all packed, in two separate bags as per your What to Bring list on our Safety and Requirements webpage.
NOTE: For students living at Pine Lake, you will be able to store your gear for the year at Pine Lake during this time frame. Access to your gear will be available after Awakening finishes, at which time you may move into your room at Pine Lake. Transportation will be provided to necessary campus events during Welcome Weekend. Please contact the Director of Awakening at 607-431-4547 or firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Noon – 1:30: Lunch. A cash lunch is available at the Commons or Table Rock Cafe on campus (Dewar Student Union), or you may choose to go out to lunch at one of Oneonta’s restaurants.
1:30 – 2:00: Travel to Pine Lake Campus for Formal Welcome to Awakening. The Pine Lake Environmental Campus is located about 8 miles from the main campus; plan on 20 minutes travel time. We have tried to post signage at significant corners. DIRECTIONS: Take I-88 east toward Albany to Exit 16 and turn right toward Davenport Center. After 3 miles take a sharp left onto Charlotte Creek Road at the Pine Lake sign. After 2 miles, look for the Pine Lake Environmental Campus on the right behind the trees. The main lodge is a large 2-story white building with pillars. Park in the parking lot and proceed to the kiosk or Lodge for information.
1:30 – 2:00 Goodbyes. This is your time to say your goodbyes. At 2:00 p.m. all students and parents will meet downhill from the Lodge, in our Rec. Building by the Lake for a brief welcome and introduction to Awakening. Students will then divide into small groups and depart directly from the gathering with their new friends and leaders, while parents are invited to stay for an optional meeting with the Directors and Staff to receive a complete description of Awakening events (including a tour), emergency phone numbers, and answers to any questions they may have. All parent events should conclude by 3:00 p.m.
Contact Information on Registration Day:
In case of emergency or change of plans on your part, please contact our Director at 607-431-4520 at any time on Registration Day and Evening to let us know your plans. This is very important so that we don’t hold up the whole program, thank you.
After the Awakening program is over, students will be transported back to the main campus by noon on Wednesday of the program. Welcome Weekend officially begins at 12noon Wednesday and will host a BBQ lunch for all students and families on campus. Contact the Center for Student Success at 607-431-4195 for more information about Welcome Weekend.
“Every experience teaches us something, this taught me tons that will help me through my life.”
Amanda Gingue ’06
During August, you will receive a friendly letter from one of your group leaders with reminders and information about your Awakening experience. In the meantime, if you have any other questions about the Awakening program, please feel free to contact the Director of Awakening at 607-431-4547 or email at Awakening@hartwick.edu. We have a terrific set of events planned for you!