mental health nursing, mental counseling/counselor education, and nursing education
Akhtar Ebrahimi Ghassemi
Associate Professor of Nursing
Dr. Ghassemi has worked in higher education institutions for over 25 years which has equipped her with the expertise in research, integrated healthcare, interprofessional education, curriculum development, instructional design and measurement, and program evaluation. She has taught at both graduate and undergraduate levels, and served as a member of doctoral dissertation committees in the fields of psychology and nursing.
She has co-authored and published research articles in inter-professional education, empowering family caregivers in the care of older adults (a NIH funded study), and child abuse. Additionally, she has authored /co-authored over 30 articles and essays in the field of nursing and mental health.
- Ghassemi, E. A. (2020). “College suicide prevention programs are most effective when they incorporate students’ sense of coherence and connectedness in their design”, Evidence Based Journals (BMJ), A commentary on Blasco, MJ, et al. First-onset and persistence of suicidal ideation in university students: A one-year follow-up study. J Affect. Disord. 2019;256:194-206, Accepted 1/08/2020, Published in Jan. 2020.
- Ghassemi, E. A. & Azadeh Ranjbar, P. (2020). “Incorporating effective best practices into multilevel interventions for prevention and treatment of suicide”, Evidence Based Journal (BMJ), A commentary on D’Anci, KE, UHL, S, Giardi, G, Martin, C. Treatment for the prevention and management of suicide: A systematic review. Annal Int Med. 2019:171;334-342. (Accepted 5/14/2020, published June 18/2020
- Ghassemi, E. A., et.al (2020). “The Effects of an Educational Program on the Attitude, Knowledge, and Behaviors of a Sample of Iranian Nurses: Identification and Reporting.” Child Abuse Review. Under final review (Anticipated for publication in Summer 2020)
- Ghassemi, E. A. (2019). “The usage of coercive measures in psychiatric units and its potential counter-therapeutic impact on outcome”, Evidence Based Journals (BMJ), A commentary on Duxbury, J., Baker, J., Downe, S., et al. Minimising the use of physical restraint in acute mental health services: The outcome of a restraint reduction programme (‘REsTRAIN YOURSELF’). Int J Nurs Stud. 2019 Mar 28;95:40 48. doi: 0.1016/j.ijnurstu.2019.03.016.
- Ghassemi, E. A. (2019). “Letter to Editor” Social Skills and Teamwork in New Generation of Nurses. Iran Journal of Nursing. 31(116), 1-4. (English & Persian Languages)
- Ghassemi, E. A. (2017). Interprofessional collaboration between mental health counselors and nurses. Creative Nursing. 23 (4), 242-247.
- Ghassemi, E. A., & Fabus, R. (2017). “An interprofessional education pilot study for nursing and speech- language pathology students” Iranian Journal of Nursing and Midwifery Research, 22, 497-498.
- Ghassemi, E. A., Zhang, N., Marigliano, E. (2019) “Concepts of courage and resilience in nursing: A proposed conceptual model.” Contemporary Nurse. https://doi.org/10.1080/10376178.2019.1661786
- Ghassemi, E. A. (2017). “Assessing College Students’ Ego Identity Status and Their Use of Motivational Regulation Strategies.” International Journal of Mental Health, DOI: 10.1080/00207411.2017.1367449
College service and professional affiliations:
- A member of Interdisciplinary Studies Committee & Independent Student Program Committee
- A member of Evaluation and Assessment Committee, Nursing Department
- A member of Simulation Committee, Nursing Department
- Editorial board for Iran Journal of Nursing
- Invited editor for several international journals
- A member of Institutional Review Board (Representative from Health and Science Division)
- A guest member at Curriculum Committee, Nursing Department
- American Counseling Association (ACA), Reviewer for ACA online CE courses
- North Atlantic Regional Association for Counselor Educators and Supervisors (NARACES).
- American Counseling and Supervision Association (ACES), Selected to serve a reviewer for 2019 ACES Conference
- American Association Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Leadership Fellow (the Leadership for Academic Nursing Program/LANP, 2008-2009
- American Association Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
- National League for Nursing (NLN)
- Eastern Nursing Research Society (ENRS)