Office of the President
Hartwick College takes pride in its longstanding tradition of putting the liberal arts into practice, and you will see our commitment to this tradition in everything we do. Because we believe that a liberal arts education demands practical experiences—both inside and outside the classroom—we strive to be the best at melding a liberal arts education with experiential learning. By drawing upon our strengths—our people and our programs—we succeed in putting the connection between the classroom and the world at the forefront of our students’ experience. Our results include passionately engaged students, faculty, and staff, as well as alumni who are successful, contributing citizens and lifelong learners.
Here are just a few examples of how we produce such remarkable results:
- Hartwick’s innovative Three-Year Bachelor’s Degree Program puts all the benefits of a Hartwick education at the fingertips of dedicated students at a 25% cost reduction. With specially trained advisors and the support of the Hartwick community, students have the option to enroll in a program that offers the best of Hartwick with an even more affordable price tag.
- Our students receive a personalized education through hands-on research and projects with Hartwick faculty. Together, they work on a wide variety of projects, including scientific research, artistic interpretation, and social service programs abroad.
- Hartwick faculty are at the top of their fields, publishing research, presenting at conferences, and authoring books on everything from the civil rights movement to pop culture. Hartwick College recognizes and supports its outstanding faculty through ongoing research and development grants and opportunities.
- All of our students complete a Senior Thesis or Capstone project in their major. Many students collaborate with professors on research that gets presented at conferences and published in professional journals. In turn, our faculty members pass on their expertise to students through collaborative research, projects, and other academic pursuits.
- Led by Hartwick faculty, many students spend January Term abroad with their classmates. More than 60% of our students participate in off-campus programs, with even first year students encouraged to study abroad to learn about and experience other cultures.
- Every year hundreds of Hartwick students participate in internships and applied experiences for academic credit in an exceptional variety of work environments. Gaining this practical experience helps connect what students learn in the classroom to their chosen field and prepares them for their careers after graduation.
- Opportunities for community-based learning and civic engagement allow students to integrate and apply classroom knowledge—while fulfilling community needs. Hartwick has long-term partnerships with over 25 community organizations in the Oneonta area.
- Hartwick's Pine Lake Institute for Environmental and Sustainability Studies includes an environmental campus located just eight miles from our main campus. There, students and faculty conduct independent research, acquire leadership skills through Challenge Education classes, and enjoy recreational pursuits.
I invite you to take some time to get to know us better by browsing our Web site. And if you haven't done so, visit our beautiful hill-side campus to speak with our students and faculty, and to experience Hartwick firsthand. You are always welcome.
Dr. Margaret L. Drugovich
Office of the President
Oneonta, New York 13820