For first- and second-year students, an internship can help you:
- Figure out what you want to do after college;
- Get a better idea of the field you’re planning to enter, and whether you’d really like to make it your career;
- Decide what are you good at, or what do and don’t you like. Don’t spend four years not knowing the answers to these questions; and
- Make connections for a more advanced internship during your junior or senior year.
If you’re a third- or fourth-year student, and internship can help you:
- Get your foot in the door of a competitive business or organization, even before you graduate;
- Develop the connections and networking contacts you will need after graduation to pull ahead;
- Hone your classroom learning, and those crucial “soft” skills too;
- Find out how to best maneuver yourself into a career after graduation;
- Earn credit for your internship!