Course Offerings & Registration

Course Offering Information Course Registration Information Frequently Asked Questions


Course Offering Information

Self-Service Student Planning is live! WebAdvisor has been upgraded to a new system that improves course planning, course registration, degree progress tracking and many other features.

Visit our Hartlink page for training guides, video tutorials, and upcoming training opportunities.

To view current course offerings, please click the button below.

self-service Course Listings

Course Registration Information

Please use SelfService for course registration changes. See the deadlines posted on the Academic Deadlines & Important Dates web page for restrictions. Courses that require instructor permission, senior thesis/projects, independent/directed studies, closed courses, course repeats and internships cannot be registered electronically. Registration forms are located here:

Course Registration Forms

Please do not email add/drop or permission requests. Emailed requests will not be processed.


Priority Registration Groups

Your pre-registration date and time in Self-Service is assigned based on your priority group:

November 1  – All Three Year Degree Students (you must be officially enrolled in the program to register)

November 2 – Senior Nursing, Honors, Education
November 3 – Remaining Seniors
November 4 – Junior Nursing, Honors, Education
November 5 – Remaining Juniors

November 8 – Sophomore Nursing, Honors, Education
November 9 – Remaining Sophomores

November 10 – First Year Nursing, Honors, Education

November 11 – Remaining First Years


If you have a hold on your account (viewable in Self-Service and in Navigate) you will be unable to register for courses until the hold is cleared. Note that all students must be cleared by their advisor prior to registering. Information on getting cleared will be emailed to you.

Non-Hartwick students: You must apply for admission through the Registrar’s Office to register for a course. Visit our forms site for the Special Student Application.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I register for a course?

During pre-registration and open add/drop periods you can register for courses electronically in Self-Service. Note that courses requiring permission cannot be registered electronically- these courses must be registered in the Office of the Registrar with the correct form. All forms are available on our forms web site.

Is there a limit on how many credits I can take?

Yes, students can register for up to 20 credits in fall/spring, 4 credits in January and are limited to one course per summer session. A petition to the Committee on Academic Standards is required to register above these limits. Exceptions to the summer session one course limit should be directed to the Dean of Academic Affairs. There is an over-election fee for each credit hour over 18 credits fall and spring semester, or over 4 credit hours in January, unless the student is declared in the Three Year Degree program. For those in the Three Year Degree program, the over-election fee is charged for credits over 20 in fall and spring semester, or over 4 credit hours in January. See Tuition and Fees for over-election charge.

Click here to view a schedule of overload and other course fees on the Student Accounts web site.

How do I know if a course has an additional fee? What if I add a course late?

Courses marked with a dollar sign ($) carry an additional course fee. Fees are also listed in Self-Service.
Adding a course after the add/drop period incurs a late add fee. To view a schedule of these and other fees on the Student Accounts web site, click here.

How do I know if a course is offered first or second half? Or when a course starts and ends?

Physical Education courses marked with a ‘Z’ in the section are second half courses, those without are first half courses. This is also true for a handful of Art courses. However, the most effective way to determine when a course starts and ends is to bring the course up in Self-Service and check out the Meeting Information.

How do I view course descriptions or pre-requisites?

All of this information is available in Self-Service. Use the Self-Service link at the top of the page.

What courses cannot be registered electronically?

Summer courses, senior project/thesis that are labeled ‘490’ (capstones can be registered electronically if not designated ‘instructor permission required’), independent and directed studies, course repeats internships, courses that are closed, courses that require instructor permission and courses that conflict. All of these courses must be registered using the appropriate form found on this web site or in the Registrar’s Office.

Why can’t I see Senior Thesis (490), Independent Studies, Directed Studies or Internships on the course schedule?

After several years of assessing the electronic registration system, we made the decision to remove elements of the course schedule at pre-registration that were frustrating for students. This included removing courses that couldn’t be registered electronically and were causing some degree of confusion. Questions about these registrations should be addressed to your academic advisor.

How do I order textbooks?

Click here to visit the Hartwick College bookstore web site.

What are the academic divisions at Hartwick?

Hartwick’s academic divisions are Humanities, Physical and Life Sciences, Social and Behavioral Sciences.

How do I find courses that satisfy curricular requirements like GEO, EL, WL3 or ILS?

Look for courses with course types like GEO, EL, WL3 or ILS using the catalog search function in Self-Service.