The opportunity of a lifetime. Available every January.
Go deep into your major or dive into another passion altogether. Hartwick students have the option to engage in an immersive, three-week-long learning experience called January Term (J Term).
This unique moment in your Hartwick education can include travel to far-off locations or concentrated research on campus — all of it centered on a singular point of study.
Experienced Hartwick faculty lead each J Term course, which also counts as credit toward your degree. We think it’s important that you have the space to further your specialized skills and knowledge with real-world learning.
Ask any of the more than 200 students who take advantage of this international opportunity each winter, and they’ll tell you this phenomenal experience changed their lives.
Recent off-campus J Term classes included:
- South Africa: Culture and Ecology – Anthropology 355
- Bahamas: Island Biogeography – Biology 240
- People, Plants & Animals of Thailand – Biology 242
- Modern China/Doing Business in China – Business Administration 150/350
- Sustainable Tourism in Peru – Environment, Sustainability & Society/Psychology 150
- Language and Cultural Immersion in Quebec City, Canada – French 105/205/305
- Geology and Natural History of Hawaii – Geology 275
- Italy: Che figata! Four Centuries of Italian Music – Music 250
- Jamaica: Transcultural Health in Jamaica – Nursing 346
Learn More about Off-Campus J Term Classes
We help make your J Term possible.
Available scholarships include the following:
- The Florence and George Hutman Scholarship for International Study
- The Dobert Family Scholarship
- The Josie Wright and Dr. Brian R. Wright, Esq. H’02 Endowed Scholarship
- The Semenenko Clark Fund for Excellence in Art and Art History
- The Richard L. ’62 and Carol V. Clapp J Term Scholarship
- The Sarah Griffiths ’88 and Timothy Herbert Endowed J Term Scholarship
- The Andrew and Betty Anderson J Term Scholarship
- The International J Term Scholarship
- The Landrey Family J Term Endowment
- The Lynch Family Endowed Fund for J Term Study
- The Mehri J Term Scholarship
- The Morris J Term Scholarship
- The Brian ’87 and Kristen Wilcox Endowed J Term
Learn More about J Term Scholarships