The opportunity of a lifetime. Available every January.
Go deep into your major or dive into another passion altogether. Hartwick students have the option to engage in an immersive, three-week-long learning experience called January Term (J Term).
This unique moment in your Hartwick education can include travel to far-off locations or concentrated research on campus — all of it centered on a singular point of study.
Experienced Hartwick faculty lead each J Term course, which also counts as credit toward your degree. We think it’s important that you have the space to further your specialized skills and knowledge with real-world learning.
Ask any of the more than 200 students who take advantage of this international opportunity each winter, and they’ll tell you this phenomenal experience changed their lives.
Off-campus J Term Courses:
- Europe: Politics in the European Union – Political Science 250
- France: Language Immersion in Tours France – French 105/205/305
- Ireland: Irish Society & Culture – Sociology 338/Music 350
- Italy: Art & Architecture of Italy – Art History 307
- Jamaica: Transcultural Nursing – Nursing 346
- Japan: Japanese Language & Culture in Tokyo – Japanese 150/250
- London: Theatre In England – Theatre Arts 303
- Portugal: Fermentation & The Re-Location of Food Systems – Biology 150/Economics 150
- South Africa: Culture & Challenges – Anthropology 355/Public Health 355
Learn More about Off-Campus J Term Classes
We help make your J Term possible.
Available scholarships include the following:
- The Florence and George Hutman Scholarship for International Study
- The Dobert Family Scholarship
- The Josie Wright and Dr. Brian R. Wright, Esq. H’02 Endowed Scholarship
- The Semenenko Clark Fund for Excellence in Art and Art History
- The Richard L. ’62 and Carol V. Clapp J Term Scholarship
- The Sarah Griffiths ’88 and Timothy Herbert Endowed J Term Scholarship
- The Andrew and Betty Anderson J Term Scholarship
- The International J Term Scholarship
- The Landrey Family J Term Endowment
- The Lynch Family Endowed Fund for J Term Study
- The Mehri J Term Scholarship
- The Morris J Term Scholarship
- The Brian ’87 and Kristen Wilcox Endowed J Term
Learn More about J Term Scholarships