The Duffy Family Ambassador Fund Scholarship provides support for sophomore and junior students to undertake independent/directed study abroad. All majors are eligible.
A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required. Students must demonstrate financial need. For more information, contact the Director of Global Education.
Application due date: Monday, March 5, 2018
- Rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors, with a 3.0 GPA or higher, who are interested in international research and have financial need.
- International students may propose to undertake the independent/directed study in a U.S. locale with which they are unfamiliar or in an international setting other than their own country.
- All majors can apply.
- Scholarships of up to $5,000 to support an international independent study.
- Students must register for academic credit for the study.
- Meant to make it possible for individual students to have an in-depth, one-on-one experience.
- Winners of Duffy Scholarships may plan to travel in summer of 2017 or during the period between fall semester 2017 and spring semester 2018.
- Pursue an academic interest through independent research.
- Learn more about a culture that is different than your own.
- Carry out field work that could propel your career or your academic goals.
- Deepen your learning through one on one interaction with faculty.
- The Duffy Family Ambassador Fund, a scholarship endowment to support educational travel abroad by Hartwick College students, was established in 1999 by former Hartwick Trustee John Duffy H’00, P’91, P’95 and his wife, Anne Duffy P’91, P’95. Duffy Scholarships are meant to provide students with an in-depth, individual experience in another culture. Duffy Scholars register their projects for credit as independent studies with Hartwick faculty advisors.
Steps to Apply for a Duffy Scholarship
This page is designed to walk you through every element of the application and serves as a checklist to make sure your final application is complete.
When you have completed all the documents for your application, please print them out and attach them in the order below. Please submit this application packet to the PSGE Center by the deadline. Please also submit an electronic version of your application packet to Godlove Fonjweng at firstname.lastname@example.org and Carolyn Cooper at email@example.com. In the subject line of the email, and on the attachments, please include your name and the scholarship for which you are applying (Emerson or Duffy).
|1. Duffy Scholarship Requirements
Make sure you meet the general prerequisites and understand what it takes to complete a Duffy application.
|Duffy Scholarship Requirements
|2. Duffy Application Cover Page
The Application Cover Page contains information such as your GPA, contact information, and advisor. Once you have completed the Cover Page, print it and attach it to the front of your application packet.
|Duffy Application Cover Page
|3. Essay Guidelines
The proposal guidelines serve as a tool to guide your written proposal. Complete the parts outlined in a Word document and attach them to the final application.
|Duffy Essay Guidelines
|4. Hartwick’s Independent Study/Directed Study Form
It is your responsibility, as the student pre-registering for an independent/directed study, to return this completed form with the final packet. This form ensures that you will get credit for the work you do. If approved, make sure to deliver the original to the Office of the Registrar.
|Independent Study Form
|5. A Faculty Recommendation Form
It is important that you work closely with a faculty advisor. You should spend some time together working through the logistics of your project before asking them to write a recommendation. Remember to give your advisor ample time before the deadline to complete this. You can print the form and deliver it to your faculty advisor or send it to them via email. They can then email it to Godlove Fonjweng at firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver it to the PSGE Center.
|Faculty Recommendation Form
|6. Budget Guidelines and Worksheet
The guidelines below will help you develop a budget for your Duffy proposal. The first Excel tab on the Budget Worksheet shows a sample budget for your reference. Please use the Excel spreadsheet on the second tab of the Budget Worksheet to complete your budget, providing accurate and detailed information regarding proposed expenses. Please print when you are finished.
7. Risk Analysis, Mitigation, and Acknowledgment of Risk Form
Awareness of the risks associated with your research project is critical. On the Excel form below, you will see one tab with sample risk forms and a second tab with blank risk forms for you to complete.
Please complete the Risk Analysis & Mitigation Form and the
Acknowledgement of Risk Form according to the risks involved with your project. Fill out the bulk of the form in Excel, then print and sign. You must also obtain any necessary signatures for the Acknowledgement of Risk Form on the second tab; if you are under 21 years of age, you will need a signature from a parent/legal guardian.
|Risk Analysis, Mitigation and Acknowledgement of Risk Form
|8. Statement of Financial Need
Write a one- or two-paragraph statement that explains how you would benefit financially from the scholarship. In a separate word document, answer the questions on the worksheet and attach to your final application packet .
|Statement of Financial Need
If you have questions, contact Godlove Fonjweng (607-431-4414 or email@example.com) or Carolyn Cooper (607-431-4422 or firstname.lastname@example.org).