Back To Top
Areas of expertise:
introductory economics, international economic policy, classical economic thought, economic history, and off campus programs in Europe and China.
Ph.D., The New School for Social Research
Recent courses taught
- Classical political economy
- Sustainable public policies in Arizona (in Arizona)
- International economic policy
- Principles of macroeconomics
- 19c American economic history
Distinctions (awards, fellowships, and grants)
- Carnegie Fellow for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning
- Norris Fellow
- United States Internet Council Fellow
- Henry Luce Foundation Intercultural Education Project Leader
- Wandersee Fellow
- Learning Interdependence: One Small College’s Experience with the International/ Intercultural Education of First-Year Students, with David Bachner and Mary Snider, (University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 2001).
- Opening the West: Federal Internal Improvements Before 1860, (Greenwood Press, Westport, Connecticut 1998).
- The Essential Adam Smith, co-edited with Robert L. Heilbroner, (W. W. Norton, New York, New York 1986).
College service and professional affiliations
- Former Vice President for Enrollment
- Former Faculty Chair
- Former Department Chair
- Former Honors Program Co-Director
- Chair of the Off Campus Programs Committee
- Past Chair of the Board of Trustees and President of the Economic and Business Historical Society