Chemistry Major & Minor
Where degrees in chemistry can take you.
Approved by the American Chemical Society’s Committee on Professional Training, Hartwick offers a bachelor of arts in chemistry, a bachelor of science in chemistry, a bachelor of science in biochemistry, and a bachelor of science in environmental chemistry.
Hartwick chemistry majors get prepared to enter the field, whether in the lab, the field, or further study at top-notch graduate programs in chemistry, medicine, and many more.
Typically, graduates pursue careers as:
- High school teachers
- Post-secondary teachers
- Laboratory technicians
- Pharmacist technicians
- Chemical technicians
Putting chemistry to work.
Majors have a wide range of career options available to them, and many go on to further study at some of the best graduate schools in the nation.
Hartwick alumni work for:
- Albany Molecular Research
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Pfizer Pharmaceuticals
- Norwich Pharmaceuticals
- Earth Tech Environmental Services
- Merck Pharmaceuticals
- Regeneron Pharmaceutials
- Roche Pharmaceuticals
- Rochester General Hospital
- Johns Hopkins
Recent Hartwick graduates have been accepted to:
- University of Virginia
- Pennsylvania State University
- University of Illinois – Urbana-Champaign
- Tufts University
- Cornell University
- University of Notre Dame
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
- Cal Tech
- University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
Beyond the basic.
To promote the development of research skills, students are encouraged to participate as early as possible in ongoing faculty research projects and to design their own projects as their abilities increase.
Recent senior thesis research projects include:
- Direct Comparison of GC-FID and GC-MS with Thermal Desorption Trace Solvent Analysis in Pharmaceuticals
- Recombinant Expression and Characterization of Epulopiscium sp. Type B Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate Dehydrogenase
- The Effect of Agricultural Waste Water Run-off on Antibiotic Concentrations in Surface Water
A closer look.
With individual attention from faculty and direct access to state-of-the-art chemical instrumentation, studying chemistry here means you’ll gain hands-on knowledge of theoretical principles through experimentation and independent research. Hartwick faculty understand that experimental work and research are central to the development of productive scientists.
Three-Year Bachelor’s Degree Program
Ready to move faster? Get the full Hartwick chemistry experience in three-quarters the time at three-quarters the cost.Learn More