sociology, social work, women’s studies, gender-based violence and inequality, social theories, feminist theories, social psychology, family studies, Soviet/post-Soviet societies.
Assistant Professor of Sociology and Department Chair
Recent courses taught:
- Introduction to Social Work
- Introduction to Sociology
- Contemporary Theory
- Intro to Counseling Skills
- Social Psychology
- Sociology of the Family
- Controversial Social Issues
- Introduction to Women’s studies
- Internship: Social Work Intern
- Internship: Social Services Intern
- Internship: Violence Intervention Program
- Internship: Substance Abuse
Distinctions (awards, fellowships, and grants):
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council Doctoral Fellowship (SSHRC). Canadian Federal Government.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (3 time-recipient). Provincial Government. Canada.
- Beverly Jackson Fellowship. Canadian Federation of University Women.
- Graduate Student Research Grant. Health Research Center for the Study of Violence against Women. University of Windsor, Canada.
- A. R. and & E .G. Ferris Awards. University of Windsor, Windsor, Canada.
- Bursary Award in Quantitative Methods. Department of Sociology, Anthropology, and Criminology. University of Windsor, Windsor, Canada.
- Galina Starovoitova 4-th annual competition for the best research among outstanding young scholars “Galateya”. Second prize. Independent research “Freedom of speech and dependent mass media”, Saint-Petersburg, Russia.
- Chernyak, E. (2016). What is a woman created for? The image of women in Russia through the lens of the Russian Orthodox Church. Feminist Theology, 24(3), 299-313.
- Barrett, B., Habibov, N., & Chernyak, E. (2012). Factors affecting prevalence and extent of Intimate Partner Violence in Ukraine: Evidence from a Nationally Representative Survey. Violence against Women, 18(10), 1147-1176.
- Chernyak, E. & Barrett, B. (2011). A chicken is not a bird, Is a woman a human being? Intimate partner violence and the Russian Orthodox Church. Currents: New Scholarship in the Human Services, 10(1), 1-24.
College Service and Professional Affiliations:
- American Sociological Association
- National Association of Social Workers
- The European Association for Gender Research, Education and Documentation
- Canadian Sociological Association
- The Association for the Study Nationalities
- Sociology Club. Co-supervisor