Your on-campus experience includes:
- An interview with a faculty member
- Aural skills and written theory evaluation
- Music department facilities tour
- A performance evaluation with one of our Artists in Residence
Music Audition Application Form
Please send in the following materials prior to your audition:
- A high-quality copy of your audition music if you require an accompanist – (Department of Music, Hartwick College, Oneonta, NY 13820 OR Fax: 607.431.4813)
- Instrumentalists and vocalists should choose at least three musical works from two different stylistic periods. Vocalists should prepare at least two works in a language other than English. (Please call if you have questions.)
Your day on campus:
- Arrive one hour prior to your scheduled visit to allow time for warm-up, meeting with your accompanist, and to get comfortable.
- Allow at least two hours for your visit.
- Full campus tours are available upon request.
- The Office of Admissions holds numerous days on campus and open houses. Be sure to check them out!
Please note that the Department of Music application process is separate from the Hartwick College general admissions application:
Scholarships and Incentives
Competitive scholarships are available for entering students majoring in music and music education who possess strong performance and musicianship skills. Need-based scholarships in the amount of $500 to $5,000 awarded in the first year are renewable during your tenure as a Hartwick music major. These scholarships are determined by the Financial Aid Office based on the Department of Music’s recommendation following your audition and interview. Scholarship applicants must also be successfully admitted to the College.
More About Scholarships
Ensembles and Directors
All ensembles are open to majors and non-majors.
- Chamber Choir
- Opera/Musical Theater Scenes (Prof. Steven Nanni)
- College Choir
- Not So Sharp (student-led a cappella ensemble)
- Flute Choir (Dr. Ana Laura González)
- Woodwind Ensemble (Prof. Robin Seletsky)
- Brass Ensemble (Dr. Andrew Pease)
- Rock Ensemble (Dr. Jeremy Kellett)
- Jazz Combo (Prof. M.W. Degan)
- Jazz Ensemble (Prof. Gregg Norris)
- Chamber Orchestra (Prof. Ben Aldridge)
- Wind Ensemble/Pep Band (Dr. Andrew Pease)
Musical Theater Productions
Shows are produced each January in collaboration with the Theater Department.
Hartwick hosts the Foothills Opera Experience, a summer workshop for young and emerging vocalists.
Learn more about this summer opportunity.
The department produces over fourty concerts each year ranging from guest artist and student recitals to ensemble concerts.
Music Department Calendar of Events
Whether you are a music major, minor, or music lover, it’s easy to stay involved:
NAfME (National Association for Music Education) for pre-service music educators and any student interested in the field of music education
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, a men’s music fraternity
Sigma Alpha Iota, an international women’s music fraternity
Stay in touch by liking the Hartwick Music Facebook Page!