Distance Learning

Student Complaint Procedures

Students with a complaint or grievance about their online courses must first use Hartwick College procedures to attempt to resolve their complaint. The Academic Grievance Procedure is available through the Office of Academic Affairs. During the summer sessions, students may contact the appropriate people by email to try to resolve the dispute.

A student who has followed the procedure but still seeks redress may lodge a complaint with the appropriate agency in his or her home state, as indicated in this chart.