Considering a career as a lawyer? Hartwick’s pre-law program can help you get ready to make a difference.
Pre-law studies at Hartwick prepare students to thrive in careers in the law. Hartwick students are equipped with the skills they need to be successful in legal work thanks to a robust liberal arts education infused with hands-on learning through our Liberal Arts in Practice general education curriculum.
Where a background in pre-law can take you.
No matter where you want to go, Hartwick can help you get there. What’s more, with a Hartwick-educated background, you’ll be ready to thrive when you get there.
The pre-law program coordinator at Hartwick provides guidance to students interested in law-related careers.
A closer look.
Following the guidelines of the Association of American Law Schools, we recommend individualized courses of study that:
- provide basic information about economic, political, and social institutions
- cultivate an appreciation for historical documentation and analysis
- develop skills in oral and written use of the English language
- develop the ability to think creatively and critically through deduction, induction, and by analogy
Beyond the basic.
The coordinator counsels students to educate themselves broadly, challenge themselves in a major, and maintain a high academic average. Popular majors for pre-law students are English, political science, economics, and philosophy. Opportunities to become familiar with the practice of law itself are available through internships and job-shadowing programs.
Putting pre-law to work.
Hartwick pre-law students have been accepted at some of the finest law schools in the country, including:
- Albany Law School
- University of Buffalo Law School
- Charlotte Law School
- University of Pittsburgh Law School
- Syracuse University Law School
- University of Vermont Law School
- Hofstra Law School
- Pace Law School
- University of Dayton Law School
- University of Maine Law School
- CUNY Law School
- Wake Forest University Law School
- George Washington Law School
- Thomas Jefferson Law School
Meet the pre-law faculty.
Our distinguished faculty are dedicated to giving tomorrow’s scientific professionals the tools to make an impact the moment they graduate.
Assistant Professor of Political Science & Pre-Law Program Coordinator
Ph.D. Washington University