Registrar's Office Final Exam Schedules
Spring 2023 May 15-18
|8:00 – 11:00 a.m.||A||6 or 67||2||CD|
|12:00 – 3:00 p.m.||3 or 34||D||C||1 or 12|
|4:00 – 7:00 p.m.||AB||B||4||7 or 78|
|8:00 – 11:00 p.m.||E||9M||9T||None|
Fall 2023 December 4-8
|8:00 – 11:00 a.m.||4||B||2||AB|
|12:00 – 3:00 p.m.||7 or 78||D||CD||1 or 12|
|4:00 – 7:00 p.m.||C||3 or 34||A||6 or 67|
|8:00 – 11:00 p.m.||9M||9T||E||None|
- In full-term courses, final examinations must be held during the three-hour final examination period scheduled in accordance with the Final Exam Schedule published by the Registrar’s Office.
- Examinations will be held in the normal class meeting room (except in the case of departmental examinations or special assignments requested by the course instructor).
- The examination should not extend beyond the three-hour allotted time, so the exam space can be available for the next class exam.
- Asynchronous class finals do not require a specific time slot and can be given anytime during finals week.
- Final exams for asynchronous classes cannot be given on the last scheduled class day.
- For full-term courses, all final exams must be completed by 7pm on the last day of finals week.
- Instructors should establish a predetermined time frame (minimum 24 hours) during finals week for students to take the final exam. Instructors of asynchronous/online classes must specify in the syllabus when during the official final exam period they will hold their final exam or by what date and time students are required to submit their summative assessment.
- For first- or second-half courses, final exams must be completed by 7 p.m. on the last day of the course.
- Final examinations in hybrid/virtual full-term courses can be in-person or asynchronous at the instructor’s discretion.
- In-class final exams will be scheduled according to the final exam schedule and follow the guidelines listed under “In-Person/On-Campus”
- Asynchronous class finals can be given anytime during finals week and follow guidelines listed under “Asynchronous/Online Only”
- In either case, instructors must specify the final exam modality in the course syllabus.
January and Summer Term
Regardless of modality, final examinations for January and Summer classes must be held on the last regularly scheduled class day.
Approval to Change a Final Exam Time
Instructors who would like to request a change to their final exam time must do so in writing to the Registrar’s Office, who will work in conjunction with Department Chairs to make a determination on the request.
Any change requests must be made at least four weeks in advance of the first day of final exams for the term in which the exam is to be given. Approval to move a final exam within finals week may be granted in the event that there are exceptional circumstances and strong pedagogical reasons for the move.
Additionally, the request must demonstrate that it is in the best interest of the students. Otherwise, requests for changes are unlikely to be approved as they result in student conflicts with other scheduled exams and activities.
The above regulations notwithstanding, the instructor in any course should always retain the freedom to reschedule a final examination for an individual student should such a student present a case of unquestionable hardship in their scheduled examinations (e.g., illness, death in the family or religious observance). Such rescheduling should, however, be done in the final examination period if at all possible.
Three Final Exams in One Day
In the event that a student has three examinations in one day as a result of a departmental exam or of the official rescheduling of an examination after the initial final examination schedule has been published, that student has the right to be given a makeup exam for the departmental or rescheduled exam.
The request for a makeup exam must be made in writing to the instructor in the appropriate course no later than two weeks before the last day of classes of the given term. If possible, the makeup exam should be given within the final examination period.
Retention of Exams
Instructors should retain final examinations in their courses for at least one academic year so those students wishing to see their final examination may do so. If the instructor chooses to return the examination to the students at the end of the course, this requirement does not apply.
Weather-related and/or Emergency Closing During Finals Week
If weather-related and/or emergency cancellations or delays occur during an exam day, alternate exam times may be scheduled and will be communicated to the campus. Options the campus will consider will include, but are not limited to:
- Delay: On the day of a delayed opening, final exams scheduled to begin prior to the opening time will be rescheduled to Friday of exam week.
- Closings: Final exams scheduled when the College closes for any reason will be rescheduled to Friday of exam week.
Emergency-related announcements involving cancellations or exam delays will be communicated via Rave Alert.
Contact the Registrar's Office.Office of the Registrar