Hartwick College Department of Nursing’s Mission
Our mission is to educate a highly qualified, self-directed nurse who will competently function in the present and rapidly changing healthcare system of the future. The graduate will possess the personal, intellectual, and social skills necessary to meet the challenges of an ever-changing interdependent and diversified world.
Hartwick’s nursing curriculum, like the profession, is demanding. As a Hartwick nursing student, you’ll start taking nursing classes during your first semester.
The professional nursing component is based upon a strong foundation in the arts, humanities, social and behavioral sciences, and physical and life sciences. That’s what helps create a nurse who has the habits, heart, and skilled know-how of a professional. That’s what makes Hartwick-educated nurses different, and better. Hartwick nursing graduates are well prepared for the realities of entry-level positions in any area of professional nursing practice, and in any setting.
The baccalaureate degree in nursing at Hartwick College is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 530, Washington, D.C. 20036, 202-887-6791.
Nursing is an applied science – the science of human care. Nurses provide care to the ill, injured, or those in crisis. Nurses promote health, reduce risks, treat, and rehabilitate. Nurses are the hands-on, eyes-on, 24-7 monitoring and surveillance team. Nurses care, but nursing care is not just a pleasant sentiment. It is informed by a sound understanding of the arts and sciences.
At Hartwick, nursing students begin developing clinical expertise and applying the science of human care right from the start. Students work hand-in-hand with clinically expert faculty to apply what they are learning in the classroom, in the learning laboratory, or clinical settings. Over the course of the program, our students gain more than 900 hours of supervised clinical experience, which prepares them to take on the challenges of direct patient care in a variety of settings.
While Hartwick exists in an idyllic rural setting, the health care facilities in the region offer state-of-the-art care, including cutting-edge open heart surgery, telehealth, telestroke, and robotic surgery programs, to name a few.
Our students have the opportunity to work in a variety of health care settings, including rural and urban teaching hospitals, community hospitals, a crisis center, a birthing center, a hospice, a certified home health care agency, pre-schools, school-based health centers, elder day care centers, nursing homes, adult homes, rehabilitation centers, clinics, ambulatory surgical centers, dialysis centers, and community centers.
Students work collaboratively as members of the health care team with faculty, physicians, therapists, pharmacists, dieticians, staff nurses, and advanced practice nurses, including certified nurse-midwives, nurse practitioners, certified registered nurse anesthetists, clinical nurse specialists, and nurse researchers.
Hartwick’s Department of Nursing maintains partnerships with the following facilities and organizations in the region:
- A.O. Fox Memorial Hospital, Oneonta, NY
- At Home Care, Oneonta, NY
- Albany Medical Center, Albany, NY
- Bassett Healthcare Network, Cobleskill, NY
- Bassett Medical Center, Cooperstown, NY
- Bassett Healthcare Network, Oneonta, NY
- Catskill Area Hospice and Palliative Care, Oneonta, NY
- Chestnut Park Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, Oneonta NY
- Delaware County Public Health, Delhi, NY
- Ellis Medical Center, Schenectady, NY
- Hampshire House Assisted Living and Memory Care, Oneonta NY
- Laurens Central School, Laurens, NY
- NYCAMH (New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health), Fly Creek, NY
- Oneonta City Schools, Oneonta, NY
- Oneonta Housing Authority, Oneonta, NY
- Oneonta Specialty Services, Oneonta, NY
- Otsego County Mental Health Clinic, Oneonta, NY
- Otsego County Public Health Nursing Service, Oneonta, NY
- The Plains at Parish Homestead, Oneonta, NY
- Robynwood Home for Adults, Oneonta NY
- Springbrook, Oneonta NY
- SUCO Children’s Center, Oneonta, NY
- St. James Manor, Oneonta, NY
- St. Margaret’s Center, Albany, NY