A mental health emergency may consist of an individual:
- exhibiting extreme emotional disturbance or behavioral distress;
- considering harm to self or others;
- disoriented or out of touch with reality;
- displaying a compromised ability to function; or
- otherwise agitated and unable to be calmed
During normal business hours (Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.), if a student is experiencing an emergency, call the Counseling Center immediately at 607-431-4420.
After-hours and on weekends, call the college switchboard to reach a counselor at 607-431-4200. Counselors are on call for emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week while the college is in session. You can also talk to a campus safety officer or residence hall staff member to seek assistance from a counselor.
24 Hour Community Contacts
- Mobile Crisis Assessment Team (24 Hour Crisis Hotline): 844-732-6228
- Oneonta Police Department: Call 607-432-1111
Medical Leave of Absence
A medical leave of absence is for those students whose emotional or psychological/psychiatric well-being would be better served by taking a semester or more away from college, for a more intensive form of treatment than the Counseling Center staff can reasonably provide.
Contact a member of the Counseling Center staff to discuss this option.