Why Complete an Internship?
Internships should be considered as a learning experience that students could use to further improve their education while providing valuable employment skills. Some of the benefits of an internship can include:
- Real World Experience: Joining a company as an intern provides the opportunity to work hands on in a professional environment.
- Networking: Internships often provide the opportunity to attend meetings and events. By interacting with professionals, students gain new connections and learn how to communicate in a professional environment.
- Resume Builder: Internships are key to building experience as a student or recent graduate. Employers are much more likely to hire someone with internships and work experience rather than someone with a generic resume, lacking experience.
- Time Management: As an intern, time management will become an important skill to master. When working in a fast-paced professional environment, every minute counts.
- Career Foundation: Internships provide the building blocks needed, and can help set the foundation, for a future career.
Computer and Information Sciences Department / Bassett Healthcare Internship Cooperative
The department has a cooperative internship agreement with the Bassett Healthcare IT department in Cooperstown, NY. This agreement provides students with several internship opportunities that can enhance a degree in Computer or Information Science. Selected students work with IT staff and managers in the daily operations of the IT department.
This cooperative program provides a synergy between the CISC department looking to provide internship opportunities to students and Bassett Healthcare looking for a steady supply of highly motivated IT employees. Some of the opportunities can include:
4-week January-term appointment: This is typically an unpaid internship that will allow the student to work on one of two IT teams at the hospital.
10-week summer appointment: This is typically a paid internship position (pending department funding) that will allow the student to work on one of two IT teams at the hospital.
Multi-year opportunity: Students that succeed in one of the above options will have the ability to return to complete an advanced-level internship. This can include several January or summer appointments for a maximum of three Bassett internships during their time at Hartwick College. As the student progresses from year-to-year, they will experience higher levels of responsibility in the IT department.
Full semester / Senior thesis: This is a special internship opportunity for students that are the top in their discipline, combining a 9-credit internship with a 3-credit senior thesis to create a full semester experience. The student will work with higher-level IT teams to work towards solving advanced, real world IT problems. This internship is meant to include all of the academic rigor and research that is expected of a senior thesis project, and the student must have completed one prior 3-credit internship with Bassett to qualify.