Hartwick student and stuffed animals in store
Effective Packing

Hartwick residence halls provide you with a bed, dresser, closet or wardrobe, desk and chair, window blinds, and comfortable living space.

As most occupants of typical residence hall rooms would tell you, being creative with the space you have is the key to success. Plastic stackable storage items are useful for organizing your belongings. You also might want to invest in space-saving hangers (you can find them in most stores that sell home goods) that are meant for more than one item. 

It’s a good idea to get in touch with your future roommate before move-in day. This will give you an opportunity to coordinate who will bring what. It will save space in your room later on, and also provide an opportunity to break the ice with your future roommate!

Keep in mind:

  • Your room here at Hartwick may not be as big as your room at home.
  • If there are clothes in your closet that you haven’t worn in the past two years, it would be a good idea to leave them home; chances are you won’t start wearing them now!
  • If you’re going home for the fall break, plan to bring these items back at that time. If you’re not planning a trip home before cold weather hits, pack a box before you leave and ask your family to ship it to you in November.
  • You will be shocked to see how much you acquire between online shopping and our local stores.  Save room for added possessions and bring things you no longer need home on visits or ship them to your family.

After you’ve gathered the basics, there may be a few comforts of home that you’ve forgotten. 
It may make move-in day easier if you wait to purchase some of these items when you get to campus once you see what your room still needs or is missing.

Items to consider:

  • Mattress cover or pad for added comfort.
  • First Aid-Kit – Make sure to bring a first aid kit with at least all of the basics.
  • Pain reliever (Advil, Tylenol) – to help with headaches, sore muscles, and all minor injuries.
  • Coffeemaker with auto shut-off. Keurig style pots are permitted.
  • White board – For your door so neighbors and friends can leave messages.
  • Shower Flip Flops – Protect your feet.
  • Surge protector – extension cords and multi outlet adapters are NOT allowed.
  • Umbrella – Stay dry on your walk to class! These are also sold in our bookstore.
  • Laundry bag/basket and laundry detergent – there are washers and dryers in available in every building.
  • Extra-long sheets – our beds are 80 inches long. Regular twin sheets will not fit. Students also may order sheets through a College partner.
  • A fan and window screen – summer lingers until the end of September and air conditioners are not permitted without approval.
  • Wastebasket.
  • Desk or clip-on lamp for over your bed.
  • Small rug or slippers – All of our floors are tile and can be a little chilly.
  • Bathroom caddy – to carry toiletries; the best are wire mesh caddies that you can bring into the shower with you and will allow water to drain out.
  • A bathrobe.
  • Cooking pot, Tupperware bins, cup, plate, bowl, fork, knife, and spoon.
  • Decorations – posters and your favorite items will personalize your room.
  • Refrigerator – small refrigerators are allowed in residences halls. (Students also can rent microfridges through a College partner.)

What NOT to bring:

This is not an exhaustive list of restricted items in residential communities. Questions regarding other appliances should be directed to your RA or Area Coordinator. This list does not pertain to pre-furnished items in houses, rooms or apartments.

  • Air conditioners (without written approval)
  • Alcohol, alcohol containers (including shot glasses, wine glasses, funnels, flasks, and other related drinking devices), and
    commercially produced alcohol paraphernalia (including empty bottles or cans, bottle caps, labels, or boxes)
  • Ammunition
  • Amplifiers and musical instruments that amplify
  • BB Guns
  • Candles with or without wicks
  • Ceiling fans
  • Curtains
  • Drugs and drug paraphernalia including Hookahs
  • eCigarettes and vaporizers (cannot be used in the Residence Halls)
  • Extension Cords and multi outlet plug adapters
  • Fireworks
  • Flammable liquids and gases (Including gasoline, kerosene, paint thinner, propane, butane, and oil)
  • Gasoline powered equipment
  • Grills (Charcoal, electric, and gas)
  • Halogen lamps
  • Heating units (Including electric units, electric blankets, space heaters, sun lamps, and electric fireplaces)
  • Hot plates
  • Hoverboard/Electric Skateboards (storage or charging)
  • Incense
  • Items hanging from ceiling, sprinkler head, or windows
  • Large electrical appliances (Other than Apartments, Townhouse, and Pine Lake)
  • Mattresses from home
  • Microwaves (Separate from MicroFridge units)
  • Oil lamps
  • Pets (Other than fish in 2.5 gallon or less tanks without need of a filtration system or heating unit)
  • String Lights (Including battery operated and plug in)
  • Tapestries or other fabric on walls outside of glass/plastic frames.
  • Toasters
  • Waterbeds
  • Weapons of any kind (Including fire arms, BB guns, airsoft guns, paintball guns, all ammunition, and knives with the exception of kitchen knives and knives smaller than 3″ in length)

Bicycles must be stored in outdoor racks or in rooms without blocking egress. They may not be stored in lobbies, closets, or stairwells.

Allowed small kitchen appliances can include coffee makers, rice cookers, blenders, or other similar items that do not have an exposed heating coil.

Furniture is not to be removed or disassembled. No cinder blocks may be used as loft construction material. Common area furniture is not to be moved to private bedrooms.