Pre-engineering Requirements

Pre-engineering Program Requirements

While at Hartwick, pre-engineering students must take the same Liberal Arts in Practice courses required of every other Hartwick student. Most students in the program choose to major in physics, chemistry, mathematics, or computer science because those majors provide the best preparation for later studies in engineering.

No matter what major you choose, you must take three terms of calculus and a course in differential equations, two terms of general chemistry, and two terms of physics. In addition you must take a course in computer science and a course in economics. Certain engineering programs require additional courses.

You must maintain at least a B+ average (3.30) while at Hartwick. You should earn grades of A or B in most or all of your math and science courses. In addition, you must have good work habits, as judged by the pre-engineering liaison in consultation with your instructors.

Pre-engineering FAQs

Q: How soon should I declare myself a pre-engineering major?
A: There is no pre-engineering major at Hartwick. You need to select a major that is most closely aligned with the type of engineering you have an interest in. (a chemistry major for chemical engineer, physics for civil, electrical or mechanical engineering etc.)

Q: What pre-engineering courses should I take at Hartwick?
A: There are no courses with a pre-engineering prefix. Pre-engineering means that you take all of the needed “bedrock” courses that all engineers need to take: mathematics, physics, chemistry and computer science.

Q: What type of engineering should I go into, and what should I major in?
A: You should choose a type of engineering that you are interested in, and best of all have some experience in — say a high school technology or science class. The major you select at Hartwick should reflect this choice.

Q: What kind of grades should I get to be considered for the 3-2 program?
A: Hartwick has no GPA requirement, however Columbia University has a very stringent set of GPA requirements in place, including but not limited to a 3.30 GPA. For Clarkson University admission, you need to maintain a good enough GPA at Hartwick to garner strong letters of recommendation.

Q: What institutions can I go on to after I finish at Hartwick?
A: The pre-engineering program at Hartwick has agreements in place with Columbia University and Clarkson University

Q: Can I go to schools other than Columbia University or Clarkson University?
A: After completing your work at Hartwick, you can apply to any post graduate institution you want to. However, the Hartwick pre-engineering program only covers the two schools listed above.

Q: Do Hartwick students go on to other schools for engineering?
A: Yes, we have placed students at RPI, RIT, Georgia Tech, and University of Virginia, among others.

Q: What if I want to play a sport for another year, does that affect my application?
A: No, The 3-2 program merely says that if you can complete your program of study in three years (and complete all of the requirements of the host institution) you can apply at that time.

Q: What if I cannot finish the required courses in three years?
A: Columbia University now requires you to complete your major requirements and all of the general education requirements before you apply. If that takes more than three years, that is okay. At Clarkson University, if some courses for your major are not yet complete in three years, you can take the courses at Clarkson, and we will accept them at Hartwick, completing your Hartwick degree.

Q: What degree do I earn after the (nominal) five years?
A: You complete a B.A. (or B.S.) degree from Hartwick and from the host institution.

Q: What about the 4-2 program at Columbia University?
A: The 4-2 Master’s Program at Columbia University has nothing to do with the 3-2 program. One applies to this as a graduate student, like anyone else. There is no agreement in place with Hartwick on the 4-2 program.

Q: What about financial aid? Will the package I recieved at Hartwick carry on to the next institution?
A: Financial aid packages are usually negotiated by institution, so the answer is no. Columbia University does have their own financial aid office that you can contact.

Q: Is there a language proficiency requirement at the engineering college?
A: For a candidate whose native language is not English, they must demonstrate English language proficiency as directed by Columbia University or Clarkson University.

Q: Suppose it is my third year at Hartwick. How do I apply to the engineering school?
A: You need to contact the graduate office at Clarkson or Columbia universities. This will instigate a process in which a form will be generated for you to fill out. It will also send a message to the program liaison requesting a letter of recommendation. This is the process at Columbia University, it is similar at Clarkson University.