Collections and Finding Aids
This is the documentation of a folklore research project conducted in Delaware County in 1978. The coordinator of the project was Tom Buckner who worked in conjunction with Hartwick College. The project includes information about hunting bobcats and panthers, ice fishing, herbal remedies, quilt making, song and dance, old time doctors, acid factories, bathtub whiskey, old tales and personal histories. The collection includes 62 tapes and transcripts.
This scrapbook, containing historical papers, letters and pictures pertaining to the French history of the Second Empire and the early days of the Third Republic, includes such famous autographs as Count von Moltke, Frederick William, Count von Bismarck, and many others.
The Gerry family generously donated this collection to the Hartwick College archives in November of 1998. The collection documents the land transactions of substantial tracts in upstate New York which had once been part of the two million acre Hardenburgh Patent. It also includes wills, diaries, scrapbooks and some photos from the Gerry, Harriman, Livingston and Kane families.
This collection illustrates the history of Hartwick College from the expansion of the Hartwick Seminary Collegiate Course to its present day status of 1500 students and 106 faculty members. It reflects the diversity of eight administrations, the break with the Lutheran Church, the ever changing student and faculty population, as well as the College’s interaction with the local community and state.
This collection includes the papers of or relating to Rev. John Christopher Hartwick and the establishment of the Hartwick Seminary. The documents reflect the life of Hartwick, his work with the Lutheran Synod, his land dealings, the problems of executing his will and establishing the Seminary, the relationship of the Lutheran Synod with the Seminary, the academic and social life of the Seminary and its eventual division into Hartwick Academy, Hartwick Seminary-New York City, and Hartwick College.
A member of the U.S. House of Representatives from 1965-1985, James Hanley donated this collection to Hartwick College in 1980. The papers date between 1970 and 1980 and include letters, newspaper clippings, lawsuits, legislation, meeting notes, periodicals and reports dealing with such issues as land claims, acculturation, adoption, citizenship and government relations of the Cayuga, Iroquois, Mohawk, Oneida and Onondaga Indians.
This collection is an assortment of a few items that were received by Hartwick College in 1955 along with the library of Miss Ethelwyn Doolittle, a good friend of Burroughs. The collection includes a few of Burroughs’ published works, as well as articles and poems written about him. Also included are photographs (one of Burroughs sitting in a Ford), postcards, memorabilia items from the John Burroughs Memorial Association, and a replica of the Tablet on the Boyhood Rock.
William Cooper (1754-1809) the founder of Cooperstown, New York and the father of James Fenimore Cooper, was the first judge of Otsego County and the main political arbiter of upstate New York in the 1790’s. He was twice elected to Congress on the Federalist ticket. As a major land developer for the region he not only bought and sold property for himself, but was a land agent for numerous other large patents.
This collection, containing over 5,000 documents, includes William Cooper’s business papers (patents, indentures, deeds, accounts, waste books, etc.), 1712-1809; his correspondence, 1704-1809; over 170 maps and land surveys, c. 1755-1816; business and estate papers of William Cooper’s heirs, 1809-1891; and the business papers and correspondence of his sons, Isaac, William, and Richard, 1801-1869.
This is an artificial collection of documents, articles, research papers, and general information relating to the Judge William Cooper Papers. The items in this collection have various accessioning numbers.
This collection of stenographer’s minutes (1940-1990) records the testimony and settlement of land claims brought about by the construction of the Rondout, Cannonsville and Pepacton Reservoirs.
It documents the lives of over 1400 people and businesses and the social and economic impact that occurred in numerous communities in upstate New York as a result of decisions made by the Board of Water Supply of New York City.
This New York State memorabilia is part of a larger collection donated to the archives in 1999 by Dr. Eugene Milener. Both this collection and material from the City of Oneonta collection were used by Milener while writing his book ONEONTA: DEVELOPMENT OF A RAILROAD TOWN. The maps, photos and memorabilia in this collection document the counties of Otsego, Delaware and Chenango; and the villages of Milford, Stamford and Cooperstown.
This is a collection of approximately 200 postcards from around New York State. Most date back to the turn of the century.
Roland B. Hill (1905 – 1971) was a highly acclaimed amateur archeologist. He was the first to conduct scientific archeological excavations in the vicinity of Oneonta, New York.
The collection includes photographs and notes of excavations in New York State and over 80 photographs of archeological digs and artifacts.
Hartwick College received this collection from Roy Rowan in the fall of 2002. As a member of the Hartwick Board of Trustees from 1986-1994 and serving on numerous committees, Rowan became involved with admissions, enrollment management, financial aid, education, finances, investment, student life, institutional advancement, and buildings and grounds. Dr. Rowan introduced the College to Sondhi Limthongkul, a Thai publisher, whose financial backing helped establish Hartwick’s Center for Interdependence; to Henry Luce III whose foundation donated $150,000 to Hartwick; and to Gilbert Maurer, a member of the board of the Hearst Foundation which donated $100,000. The Rowan’s fourth son Marcus graduated from Hartwick in 1984, and Dr. Rowan received an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters degree from the College in 1995.
This small collection of assorted items was given to Hartwick College by Dr. Elizabeth (Betty) Lamphere (’38), a friend of the Telfer family. The archival collection includes correspondence to William Telfer and James Telfer, assorted postcards, photographs and memorabilia.
This collection includes Synod proceedings, minutes, reports and yearbooks of the Franckean, Hartwick, New York and New England Synods. The proceedings date as early as 1853.
This manuscript collection is part of a larger collection of Indian lore that Hartwick College received in 1929 following Willard Yager’s death. The Indian relics collection is housed in the College Museum.
The archival collection reflects the life of Willard Yager, the quality of his historical research, and his exhaustive study of native americans. Through family histories, correspondence, sightseeing maps, journals, travel postcards, personal notes and unpublished hand-written and typed manuscripts, one can discover the exacting methodology of a man who became an authority on the native american way of life.
Winifred Wandersee began teaching history at Hartwick College in 1980. During her 14 years at Hartwick she helped found the Women’s Studies Program, held the Dewar Chair of History, was chair of the faculty, and received Hartwick’s three most prestitious awards given to a faculty member. This collection documents her career and professional life from her graduate days in the late 1960’s to her death in 1994.
Some materials in the collections have been microfilmed and are available via Interlibrary Loan.
Paul F. Cooper, Jr. Archives
Oneonta, NY 13820