Hartwick College will once again have some summer employment positions available for 2018.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to contact the supervisor listed if he /she is interested in a summer position.
Please see our summer position postings below.
Please select the appropriate form:
Position Description Form
Employment Information Form
Summer employment dollars should already be in your department budget. Should you have any questions, please speak with your supervisor or vice president.
- Supervisors/hiring managers should complete the Position Description Form, obtain your Vice President’s authorization/signature and forward the completed form to the Office of Human Resources (Shineman Chapel House or email@example.com) for posting.
- Applicants should submit their completed Employment Application directly to the hiring department. Applications are available online, and in the offices of Human Resources or Financial Services (3rd Floor, Bresee Hall).
- Upon hiring, the supervisor/hiring manager should complete the Employment Information Form and return it to the Office of Human Resources, together with the successful candidate’s completed Employment Application. One employee per Employment Information Form. The paperwork must be completed and received by the Office of Human Resources prior to the individual beginning work.
Procedures For Current Faculty, Staff, And Summer Camps
- Appointment letters are required for all current faculty and staff working in summer positions, and for all summer camp counselors and coaches.
- There will be no retroactive appointment letters, and HR will need time to prepare letters prior to the employee beginning work. Please plan accordingly.
- Faculty, staff, and summer camp counselors and coaches are required to complete the Preventing Workplace Harassment and SaVE Training.
Procedures For Current Students
- Supervisors/hiring managers should direct the summer employee to the Financial Services Office where he/she can complete the appropriate paperwork on or before their first day of work.
- Time cards will then be issued and must be returned to Chris Utter in the Financial Services Office, 3rd Floor, Bresee Hall.
Room And Board
There are no meal plans offered for the summer. Individuals will be able to pay at the door. Please contact the Commons at extension 4330 or firstname.lastname@example.org for pricing and availability.
If on-campus housing is necessary, please contact Residential Life and Housing at extension 4501.
Single $375 per month
Double $325 per month
Triple (if available) $300 per month
Super single (if available) $425 per month
If a department chooses to subsidize the expense for housing please let Human Resources and Residential Life know. The subsidized expense will then be charged against the department summer employment budget.
- All positions are hourly positions. There are no contract positions.
- The minimum wage is $10.40 per hour.
- Lifeguards will be paid based on their certification.
- A Hartwick student working in a job equivalent to or with more responsibility than their academic year job shall be paid at a rate no less than they are paid during the academic year.
- All summer employees must be at least 16 years of age and they must complete a Hartwick College Employment Application, Federal W-4, New York State Withholding Form, Federal Form I-9, and a Housing Agreement form (if applicable) prior to beginning work. All summer employees who are 16 or 17 years of age must provide working papers. The College is legally obligated to have these forms completed.
- All statutory taxes apply to summer positions.
- All employees of the College are covered by Workers Compensation and as such, by law, any injury sustained while on the job must be reported in writing to the offices of Human Resources and Campus Safety within twenty-four (24) hours of the accident.
- Summer employment positions are temporary seasonal positions, and therefore not eligible for fringe benefits. Additionally, because summer employment positions are limited to the three-month break between academic years, hours worked fall within the ACA defined three-month non-assessment period. Therefore, although they may work full-time hours during summer break, the College does not extend an offer of health insurance upon hire. If a summer employee works beyond the three-month summer employment period, all hours worked (with exception of hours subsidized through the federal work study program) will be taken into consideration when calculating average hours worked by non-benefits eligible employees for health insurance eligibility.
- While children of employees of the College are encouraged to apply for a summer position, no employee will be allowed to be supervised by his or her immediate family member.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 431-4315 or email@example.com .
Hartwick College is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, race, sexual/affectional orientation, disability, genetic information, predisposition of carrier status, ethnic or national origin, religion, military or veteran’s status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, or other classes protected by applicable law.
Student Laboratory Technician
Number of Positions: One
Department: Center for Craft Food and Beverage
Status: Full-time, 35 hours per week
Schedule: June 4, 2018 – August 24, 2018, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm
Supervisor: Aaron MacLeod, Laboratory Director
Description: Receive and prepare samples for analysis. Carry out basic analytical testing. Collect data and enter into spreadsheets or databases. Conduct routine maintenance and calibration of equipment. Observe and adhere to all safety policies and procedures. Maintain logs, files, sample inventories, and other records.
Qualifications: Specialization in chemistry or biology. Experience with basic laboratory techniques. Ability to work independently without close supervision. Good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
Please note, this position requires working with grain products.
Submit application to: Aaron MacLeod, firstname.lastname@example.org Extension 4232.