Advising Services for Faculty

Academic Advising

Making the most effective use of the learning opportunities a college experience offers is a basic challenge each student faces. Faculty members can provide special help in this process by being open and engaged academic advisors. First-year students are assigned a faculty member as their regular academic advisor, every effort is made to have this advisor be one of the student’s fall term instructors to ease the transition. If students declare a major, every effort will be made to have an advisor in that department.

Students must meet with their advisors prior to each course registration period, but students are encouraged to visit their advisors regularly. Helping the student plan a challenging, satisfying, and comprehensive program is one of the best ways an advisor can be of assistance, but the advisor also can discuss career options and resources available for dealing with specific problems. Students may change advisors as their needs or interests change, and need to have an advisor within the department of their major. To change advisors, majors or minors, students turn in the completed the Advisor/Major/Minor Change Form to the Office of Academic and Pre-Professional Advising (1st floor, Golisano Hall).


The Academic Advising Handbook

The Hartwick College Advising Handbook is designed to assist advisors in their work with academic advising. The handbook presents information on the role of advisors at the College, the academic policies and procedures of the College, and provides information and suggestions to help you with your advising responsibilities.

Quality advising is the joint responsibility of faculty, students, and administrators. Good advising contributes to student persistence and academic excellence. Advising is another opportunity for teaching and service. As such, advisors can help students understand the relevance of their college requirements and majors to future personal educational and professional choices. More significantly, faculty can help students understand the importance and value of a liberal arts education and what it means to be a liberally-educated person in the 21st century.

We hope that you will find the handbook a useful tool and valuable resource. Comments and suggestions to improve its usefulness are welcomed and should be sent to the Office of Academic and Pre-Professional Advising, Golisano Hall, 1st Floor.

Teaching and Advising

Hartwick College offers students the opportunity to learn in small classes through open discourse with faculty and fellow students. Learning in this setting creates an active and engaging relationship between the faculty member and the student which is based on trust, support, and encouragement. At its best, advising is also a teaching and personal relationship developed via conversations between the advisor and the student.

The goal of good academic advising is to encourage students to develop a spirit of academic inquiry and to help advance their academic goals and objectives shared in conversation. Advisors help students answer questions and reach sound decisions about their academic goals and program, provide accurate information, and help students take full advantage of College resources to achieve their goals. The care and personal attention given to students in and out of the classroom is the foundation for successful learning in teaching and advising.