Registrar's Office Readmission

Learn how to apply for readmission to Hartwick

We welcome the student whose study at Hartwick has ended and wishes to request readmission to return. To be considered for readmission, please complete the following steps at least 15 business days prior to the desired date of reentry:

  • Contact Financial Aid and Student Accounts to discuss cost of attendance and your financial aid eligibility (this is required for students that are returning with a cumulative GPA less than 2.000).
  • Contact your Academic Advisor and determine which courses you will need to take when you return.
  • Contact the Office of Residential Life and Housing to discuss your housing options.
  • Complete and submit the Application for Readmission (located on the Registrar’s Office forms page).
  • Request that official transcripts from colleges or universities attended while away from Hartwick College to be sent to the Office of the Registrar.
  • If you are applying for readmission from an academic dismissal you must provide an additional essay describing any and all activities in which you have been engaged during your time away from Hartwick that you believe will contribute positively to achieving your academic goals.

Please note that readmission is not guaranteed.

The review process will begin when your application and official transcripts (if applicable) have been received. Your application is reviewed by the Registrar to determine your eligibility to return. All correspondence/inquiries and transcripts should be directed to the Office of the Registrar, Hartwick College, Oneonta, NY 13820.  You can reach us at 607-431-4460 or  Once all application materials have been received and your application reviewed, a decision on your readmission will be communicated to you within 5 business days.

A student who desires to return to Hartwick College after being away for a period of time that exceeded the maximum leave period must apply for readmission.

Students that do not complete all degree requirements by the time of their Anticipated Completion Date (ACD) are unofficially withdrawn from the College prior to the start of the next term. A student who has been unofficially withdrawn must apply for readmission.

A student who has graduated from Hartwick and wishes to return to complete a second degree must apply for readmission through the Registrar’s Office. Upon readmission the student is considered a transfer and up to 75 of their prior Hartwick credits may be applied toward the new degree.

A student who has been academically dismissed is eligible to apply for readmission one calendar year after the date of dismissal. The Registrar makes the final decision on your readmission application. Note that the Registrar also reserves the right to forward your application materials to the Committee on Academic Standards (CAS) to make a final decision on your readmission. If your application is forwarded to CAS you will be notified immediately and provided with a timeline indicating when your application will be heard. If your application is forwarded to CAS, you will be notified within five business days of their decision.

If courses are taken at a different college or university during the period of absence, you may ask to transfer these credits upon your return. If the institution and courses are suitable, courses with grades of C or better may be transferred.


Contact the Registrar's Office with questions