Billing Policy

Hartwick College Billing Policy


For most students, tuition is billed at the full-time status rate. Full-time is 12-18 credit hours per semester. You must maintain a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester to remain full-time.


If you should drop below 12 credits per semester prior to the Add/Drop date, you will be considered part-time for billing and financial aid will be affected. The student will need to complete the form on the Registrar’s page.


A student with a GPA of 2.0 or greater may take up to 20 credit hours per semester. Permission is needed if the student wishes to take more than 20 credits, or if she or he is below 2.0 GPA and wishes to exceed 16 credits. However, there is an over-election fee for each credit hour over 18 credits fall and spring semester, or over 4 credit hours in January, unless the student is declared in the Three Year Degree program.  For those in the Three Year Degree program, the over-election fee is charged for credits over 20 in fall and spring semester, or over 4 credit hours in January.  See Tuition and Fees for over-election charge. If the over-election course is dropped by the end of the Add/Drop period, the charge will be refunded.  There is no refund of the charge if dropped after the Add/Drop period.  Part time students are exempt from the overload fee as they are charged at the full per credit rate.

Late Add

You may not add a course after two weeks into the semester, unless you petition the  College’s Committee on Academic Standards. If you are granted permission to add a course after the two-week period, there will be a fee of $50 per course added. For those courses that meet for less than the full term, the late-add date will be one week into the course.


The Comprehensive Fee listed separately on your statement includes, but is not limited to, student activities, Pine Lake, WICKit card, technology, and lab use.


For most students the Health Insurance is optional and for all students Tuition Insurance is optional, the completion of the opt-out forms can be found on their pages Health Insurance Election Form and Tuition Insurance.


As long as there is an outstanding (delinquent) balance on an account, including Hartwick Tuition accounts, Hartwick Institutional loans, or Federal Perkins and Nursing loans, no transcript or diploma will be released from the College. (An exception is made for scholarships to be used at Hartwick College.) Prior to requesting the transcript from the Office of the Registrar, you need clearance from the Office of Student Accounts. Save yourself a trip and stop at this office first.

Billing Address

Notifications of electronic statements are sent to the billing parent or guardian at his/her email address, this is determined by the parent or guardian who signed the Financial Responsibility Form. We are not allowed to discuss the account with anyone other than the student and the parent who has signed to be responsible for the account, unless we receive written permission from the student. A student may come to the Office of Student Accounts and request a statement at any time.


Refunds cannot be issued prior to the second Friday of Fall and Spring semester. Credits cannot be refunded if there are payments due on the tuition payment plan, or if the credit is created through pending financial aid.  Upon separation from the college, we will refund credit balances of $5.00 or more to the student or parent.



Students with past-due balances will not be permitted to pre-register for the subsequent semester. If you receive notice of a restriction, please visit the Office of Student Accounts as soon as possible. We are here to help you and can offer guidance. Guidelines for what balances are used to place restrictions at pre-registration and registration time are found in our FAQs.