Students are not obligated to self-disclose a disability. However, self-disclosure is required when the student anticipates a need for adjustments, modifications, or services relating to the disability.
A phone call, personal interview, or the submission of the Voluntary Disclosure of a Disability Form will initiate the process.
Procedure for Requesting Services at Hartwick College
- Submit the Voluntary Disclosure of a Disability Online Form.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org, fax 607-431-4567, or mail the required documentation based on the type of disability to AccessAbility Services, Hartwick College, One Hartwick Drive, Oneonta, NY 13820.
- Allow appropriate time frame for documentation review. It may be necessary to seek further information from the student and/or the diagnostic evaluator.
- Upon arriving on campus, the student must meet with a staff member from AccessAbility Services. During this meeting, specific guidelines, policies, and procedures regarding AccessAbility Services will be discussed.
If a student chooses not to self-disclose a disability, the student cannot receive formal services.
Reasonable adjustments may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- testing services, such as extra time, distraction-reduced environment;
- assistive technology;
- recorded lectures;
- note-taking services;
- alternatives to print materials, e.g. audio texts, electronic text;
- physical accessibility arrangements;
- housing accommodations, e.g. ESA, service animal, single
- sign language interpretation; and
- course substitutions.