Academic Policies & Procedures

Students at Hartwick are expected to familiarize themselves with graduation criteria, major requirements and other applicable academic policies. Failure to read and comply with academic policies and procedures will not exempt a student from whatever penalties he or she may incur. The policies listed below are associated with the current catalog year.

Course Registration Policies

Account Holds

A financial hold may be placed on a student’s account preventing course registration changes and release of official transcripts and other credentials if a student has an outstanding financial obligation with the College. Course registration changes and release of transcripts or other credentials are not permitted until a hold has been cleared.

If an enrolled student does not address holds issued by any administrative office prior to the start of a term or within the first seven days of fall or spring term or first three days of January or any Summer term, he or she will be withdrawn from the institution. Specifically, a student who has one or more holds on his or her account and is not attempting to resolve the hold(s) by 5 p.m. on Thursday of the first week of fall or spring terms will have his or her WICKit account frozen the next day (Friday) by 9 a.m. A student whose account has been frozen and has not resolved or attempted to resolve a hold on his or her account by 5 p.m. the following Tuesday will be dropped from his or her courses and placed on a leave of absence for the remainder of the term or withdrawn from the institution completely.

Adding and Dropping Courses

A student may add and/or drop courses during two distinct add/drop periods: (1) a five day open period following pre-registration and (2) the first two weeks of fall and spring term and the first three days of January term, with certain limitations and exceptions, as follows:

  • Classes may not be added after the beginning of the second class meeting of any course unless the instructor grants permission.
  • Courses meeting for less than the full term must be registered by the end of the first week of that course’s meetings.
  • Senior projects/theses must be registered by the end of the second week of Fall and Spring terms, and the end of the first week of January Term.
  • Independent/directed studies and internships for 3 or 4 credits must be registered by the end of the second week of Fall or Spring terms.
  • Independent/directed studies and internships for 2 credits must be registered by the end of the eighth week of Fall or Spring terms.
  • Independent/directed studies and internships for 1 credit must be registered by the end of the 11th week of Fall or Spring terms.
  • Independent/directed studies must be registered by the end of the first week of January Term, regardless of credit.

Auditing a Course

A student in good academic standing and with the permission of the instructor may audit a course. The student and the instructor must agree in advance on what the auditor is expected to do. At the end of the course, the instructor shall certify that the student met these obligations by issuing a grade of ‘AU’. If the obligations are not met, the student will be dropped from the course roster and the course will be removed from the student’s record. A decision to change from credit to audit must be made by the end of the first week of the term in which the course is offered. Not all courses are available for audits: studio art, music performance, physical education, computer laboratory, and off-campus programs are excluded. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of the Registrar, in writing, when auditing a course. Note there may be a cost associated with auditing and please click here for more information.

Course Load

A full time academic course load is defined as a minimum of 12 credits in Fall and Spring terms and 3 credits in January term. However, a normal course load for a regular full-time student is 30 credits per year, normally distributed as 13-14 credits in the Fall Term, 3-4 credits in the January Term and 13-14 credits in the Spring Term.

Regular full-time matriculated students are expected to complete at least a 30 credit load for the academic year as they work toward the total of 120 academic credits, plus two physical education credits and one WICK-101 credit required for graduation over a four year period. Students that fail to meet credit completion requirements established by the Academic Standard of Progress policy are subject to academic dismissal.

Students enrolled in the Three Year Bachelor’s Degree Program are expected to complete at least 40 academic credits per year to graduate with 120 academic credits, two physical education credits and one WICK-101 credit in three years.

Course Overload

A student with a GPA of 2.0 or greater may take up to 20 credit hours per semester. Permission is needed if the student wishes to take more than 20 credits, or if she or he is below 2.0 GPA and wishes to exceed 16 credits. However, there is an over-election fee for each credit hour over 18 credits fall and spring semester, or over 4 credit hours in January, unless the student is declared in the Three Year Degree program. 

For those in the Three Year Degree program, the over-election fee is charged for credits over 20 in fall and spring semester, or over 4 credit hours in January.  See Tuition and Fees for over-election charge. If the over-election course is dropped by the end of the Add/Drop period, the charge will be refunded.  There is no refund of the charge if dropped after the Add/Drop period.

Course Withdrawal

Following the add/drop period at the start of each term, a student may withdraw from a full term course through the ninth week of fall and spring term and the third week of January term. For fall and spring term first or second half courses, a student may withdraw through the end of the fifth week of the course. A grade of ‘W’ is issued for all course withdrawals. A student who withdraws from one or more courses may need to repay any state financial aid received. See “Standards of NYS Student Aid Eligibility” under Educational Policies and Procedures. A student who wishes to withdraw from a course must notify the Registrar’s Office, using a Course Add/Drop form, by the deadline.

Independent and Directed Studies
Students wishing to engage in a study for which no course exists but in an area in which an instructor is qualified, may pursue either an independent or directed study pursuant to the following restrictions. Credit for an independent or directed study may be 1, 2, 3, or 4 credits.

Independent Studies permit junior and senior students with a GPA of 2.3 or higher to examine specialized topics with minimal supervision. To qualify for an independent study, a student must have prior academic experience (either a completed course or directed study with at least a C for each course) in the general field or fields in which the study is to be undertaken. Departmental approval shall come only after a formal departmental review and concurrence that the proposal has sound academic merit. To assist in this process, the student must provide a list of the courses that qualify the student for pursuing such a project, a detailed explanation of the goals of the project, and a detailed listing of available resources. Justified exceptions to this policy can be brought to the Committee on Academic Standards for decision.

The following course numbers will be used to indicate independent studies:
398 for Junior Independent Studies
498 for Senior Independent Studies

Directed Studies are open to all students in good academic standing except first semester freshman. In such projects the student works closely with the instructor on an individual basis. The instructor will provide evaluations and guidance at least one hour per week during the tenure of the project. Departmental approval shall follow the same formula as that for independent studies.

The following course numbers will be used to indicate directed studies:
199 for Second Semester Freshmen Directed Studies
299 for Sophomore Directed Studies
399 for Junior Directed Studies
499 for Senior Directed Studies

A student may take no more than two independent and four directed studies during a four-year career and no more than two independent and two directed studies during a two-year career. No more than four studies of any combination with the above guidelines may be taken with the same instructor unless the Committee on Academic Standards grants special permission.

Registration deadlines are listed with the Adding/Dropping Courses policy elsewhere on this page. Registration forms are available from the Office of the Registrar. Completed forms, including departmental approval, must be on file in the Office of the Registrar.


An internship is an integrative experience applying academic study with hands-on learning in a professional setting. The pre-professional learning outcomes include job- specific skill development, career awareness, personal development and professionalism.

Academic learning outcomes are set by the department through which the internship is registered.

Students can gain up to 12 credits, during their time at Hartwick, in increments of 1-6 credits per internship. For every credit given, a student must work 40 hours at the internship. Academic work is also assigned, at the discretion of the faculty supervisor. Students must register for credit before the internship.  Any students who wish to seek credit after completion of the internship must complete a Learning Agreement and petition the Committee on Academic Standards for approval.

The following course numbers are used for internships:
195 Freshman
295 Sophomore
395 Junior
495 Senior

Registration for an internship establishes the same commitment as registering for a course and therefore follow a similar add/drop and withdrawal schedule, unless an exception is granted by the Internship Coordinator and the Registrar.

Information on the Learning Agreement, and a link to the Agreement, can be found in the Career Services section of the Hartwick website.

Students can secure an internship on their own or they can use the tools offered by Career Services.  Securing an internship often involves providing an employer with a cover letter and resume and possibly participating in an interview.

While many internships are unpaid, students can be paid (hourly or stipend) for an internship and gain credit. Note that commission-based opportunities are not considered internships. It is highly suggested that internships take place on-site, however, consideration will be given to virtual or project-based internships. The Learning Agreement must clearly outline the roles and responsibilities of the intern and the method of communication and supervision of the Site Supervisor. These internships must be approved by the Internship Advisor, in consultation with the Director of Career Services.

The following roles support the student during the internship process:

  • The Faculty Supervisor- must be a full-time professor and anticipated to be on campus during the term of the internship and not on sabbatical. Credit is issued by the faculty supervisor’s department and the internship must be approved by that department’s chair before the internship is registered.
  • The Site Supervisor is someone in a professional position (e.g. a volunteer coordinator, office manager, archivist, etc.) at the internship site who is able to make commitments on behalf of the organization and who will work closely with the student intern as well as College staff/faculty during the course of the internship, providing sound, professional judgment and mentoring in the skill areas assigned. The Site Supervisor provides on-site training, assigns job duties and supervises the work of the student intern. The Site Supervisor must be present during the student’s internship hours, or ensure that another staff person will be responsible for the student’s supervision during the Site Supervisor’s absence.
  • Internship Advisor-is a Hartwick Career Services staff member who serves as a liaison between the student intern, the faculty supervisor and the site supervisor. The Internship Advisor, under the guidance of the Director of Career Services approves or denies any Learning Agreements, ensures the internship is registered for credit and supports the student during the internship process.
  • Supervision of the intern is the joint responsibility of the Faculty Supervisor and the Site Supervisor. The Internship Advisor serves as a secondary support during the internship.
    The Career Services office reserves the right to deny approval or revoke an approved site and their internship opportunity should they feel, at any time, that the professional qualifications of the site supervisor are not sufficient or the internship does not provide learning experiences at a professional level. Student feedback for sites and site supervisors is collected every semester and a review of sites is made as conditions warrant.

Conflict of interest

In the best interest of the student, the following is considered when a student is determining an appropriate site supervisor for an internship.

  • To avoid impropriety and conflict of interest, the Site Supervisor and the Faculty Supervisor cannot be the same person.
  • The Site Supervisor can’t be someone related, by blood or marriage, to the student intern.
  • The Faculty Supervisor can’t have a stake (business or professional connection) in the internship project or site, or have an affiliated relationship that constitutes a conflict that could compromise the objectivity of the internship evaluation.

Career Services will not approve Learning Agreements in such cases.

Non-Credit Study

In order to provide special educational experiences for individuals in our community, Hartwick offers the opportunity to enroll in many regular courses on a non-credit basis at a very modest cost, provided there are openings in the courses after the pre-registration period has ended. Non-credit courses are not recorded by the Registrar’s Office, and no grades are issued. Such study cannot be applied toward a degree at Hartwick or any other institution.

Not all courses at the college may be taken for non-credit. Classes in studio art, music performance, computer science and off-campus courses and programs are not eligible. All pre-requisites or other restrictions on courses apply to non-credit enrollments. For each non-credit enrollment, the approval of the instructor teaching the course is required. Registration as a non-credit student entitles you to classroom attendance only.

Charges must be paid at the Student Accounts office before the beginning of each course. Check with the Student Accounts office for a current fee schedule. Persons 62 years of age or older are eligible for a Senior Citizen Fee Waiver and may enroll at no charge.


All enrolled students are required to pre-register for courses in order to maintain their standing as actively enrolled students. Failure to pre-register by the appropriate deadline may affect a student’s standing with the institution. Each student is responsible for his or her own pre-registration and must be cleared by an advisor in order to pre-register for courses. Each student is assigned a pre-registration date and time by the Registrar’s Office based on his or her Anticipated Completion Date with the exception of Three Year Degree, Nursing, Education and College Honors (these students are assigned a higher priority in their respective class year). Students pre-register for January and spring term courses the preceding November following fall break, and fall term courses the preceding April following spring break.

All students pre-register themselves and make changes to their course schedules online. Senior Thesis/Project, Independent/Directed Studies and courses requiring instructor permission cannot be registered online and must be registered in writing, using the appropriate form, in the Registrar’s Office. Pre-registration requests submitted through email will not be processed.

Repeating a Course

A student may retake any course for the purpose of gaining additional knowledge and improving the grade. Retaking a course for which the student has credit (the course was passed) will not add to the student’s total number of credits completed for graduation. For courses repeated at Hartwick, the higher grade will be used to calculate the grade point average. For courses repeated elsewhere, if the course is allowed to transfer in, and if the Hartwick grade in the earlier attempt was C- or lower, the Hartwick grade will not be included in the student’s grade point average. The transfer grade will not be used in the grade point average either; the student will just have credit for the transfer course rather than the Hartwick course. In either case, the course being repeated remains on the transcript. 

Repeating a course in which a student earned a letter grade other than ‘F’ may impact a student’s state and/or federal aid. A student repeating a course should check with the Office of Student Accounts or Financial Aid before choosing to repeat a course.

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Office of the Registrar, in writing, when a course is being repeated.

SUNY Oneonta Exchange Program

Through a cooperative arrangement students from Hartwick College or the SUNY Oneonta may enroll in courses on the other campus without paying tuition and the comprehensive fee. The program is coordinated through the Registrars’ Offices at Hartwick and SUNY Oneonta. The following guidelines govern registration:

  1. Hartwick students must be matriculated and enrolled full-time in Fall or Spring (12 credits) at Hartwick before registering for a SUNY Oneonta course.
  2. Hartwick students may take only one course per academic term at SUNY Oneonta.
  3. Hartwick students may not register at SUNY Oneonta for a course available on their own campus, even if that course is not offered in the present term. (There may be an exception for a student whose graduation plans may have to be postponed.)
  4. Hartwick students may consult SUNY Oneonta’s schedule of classes on-line to select a course and find instructor contact information. When a student selects a course and receives permission from the instructor to enroll, the Registrar’s Office will contact SUNY Oneonta, after their students have registered, to see if an opening exists. If so, the registration will be made.

This Exchange Program is not available in January or during the summer. The letter grade earned at SUNY Oneonta through this program will be calculated in Hartwick grade point average. Courses cannot be taken as pass/fail.


Academic Record Policies

Academic Honesty

When a faculty member has evidence of dishonest academic behavior, he or she shall immediately speak with the student regarding the evidence. If after this conversation the faculty member has found evidence that the student has knowingly or with culpable negligence committed an act of academic dishonesty, he or she shall first so inform the student and then file a formal charge with the Office of Academic Affairs. In addition to a written explanation of the charge, the faculty member will provide the evidence that substantiates it to the academic honesty officer. Other members of the college community — staff or students — who become aware of dishonest behavior as defined above should consult with the academic honesty officer about whether and/or how to press charges.

When the Office of Academic Affairs has received the formal charge from the faculty member, the academic honesty officer will schedule a meeting with the student and discuss both the charge and the evidence. If the academic honesty officer concurs that the student has committed the offense, he or she shall inform the student of the penalty in writing.

Academic Residency Requirement

A student must complete the last 30 semester hours of the courses required for graduation while in residence at Hartwick. Residence means enrollment in programs conducted by the College on or off campus. Any student wishing to complete courses elsewhere while in residence must petition the Committee on Academic Standards for a waiver of residency.

Academic Standards of Progress

Academic Dismissal and Probation Policy

Hartwick College defines Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as a cumulative GPA of 2.000 at the end of each regular term (Spring and Fall). All students must achieve a minimum overall/cumulative GPA of 2.000 in order to graduate; therefore, in order to advance toward graduation, students must make academic progress. Should a student fail to achieve SAP, it is critical for that student return to making progress as soon as possible.

Academic Probation

Any student whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.000 will be placed on Academic Probation (AP) for the subsequent regular term and assigned to a staff member in the Center for Student Success (CSS). Before classes begin for the probation term, students must meet with this CSS staff member or their designee to complete and sign a Probation Agreement/Academic Improvement Plan. All conditions of that Agreement/Plan must be met, or the student may be dismissed at the end of the probation term. No student will be academically dismissed until they have been on Academic Probation for at least one regular term.

At the end of each fall and spring terms, the Office of Academic Affairs (OAA) will review the GPAs of all probation students and determine academic standing.

Probation students must increase their cumulative GPA every term they are on probation.

Probation students whose cumulative GPA decreases while on probation may be put on academic leave or be dismissed. (see “Academic Leave and Dismissal” below)

When probation students achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.000, they are taken off of AP and return to good academic standing.

Students on AP can take no more than 15 credit hours per term. (This is not open to appeal.)

Academic Leave and Dismissal

Any student whose cumulative GPA decreased while on AP for the first time may be placed on academic leave for one regular term (i.e. fall or spring). When students return, they are automatically placed on Academic Probation and must follow all probation policies. During the leave period, students retain access to their Hartwick accounts and will receive all email communications to Hartwick students, including registration deadlines, billing and advising reminders. Students returning from their first leave are not required to apply for re-admission.

After returning from leave, if a student’s GPA declines again, that student may be dismissed for a full academic year at the end of which it will be necessary to apply to the College for re-admission.

Appeals of academic leaves and dismissals are administered by the Committee on Academic Standards at the end of each regular term.  Joining CAS in these deliberations will be the Dean of Academic Affairs, the Registrar (or designee) and representatives from CSS.  Academic Leave or Dismissal may only be appealed under the following circumstances:

  • Student has a grade challenge pending, which, if approved, will bring GPA above 2.000.
  • Extenuating circumstances beyond student’s control caused the poor academic performance.

All decisions regarding academic probation, leaves and dismissals reside with OAA. Probation conditions are managed by the staff of the CSS. All communications regarding Academic Probation and Dismissal come out of OAA.


The Office of Academic Affairs will approve templates of all communications sent to students regarding dismissal, appeals, probation, re-admissions, etc., as well as the Probation Agreement/Academic Improvement Plan that falls under this policy. OAA will maintain the official file on every student placed on probation and/or dismissed; this file will include copies of letters sent from other offices and entities as well, like The Office of the Registrar, CAS and CSS.  The Office of Academic Affairs also will be responsible for training members of CAS on all academic policies around SAP, dismissal, probation and other academic decisions they make.

Athletic Eligibility

Hartwick College maintains NCAA membership in Division III. Student athletes must comply with the appropriate divisional eligibility requirements necessary to establish and maintain continuous athletics eligibility for practice and/or competition. Eligibility records are maintained in the Athletics Compliance Office located in the Binder Physical Education Center, Room 103. Any student-athlete who falls below a 2.0 term or cumulative GPA and/or is enrolled in less than a minimum full-time course load (12 semester hours per term) must make an appointment with the College’s Athletics Compliance Officer regarding their athletics eligibility status for practice and/or competition.


Catalog Year Changes

A student is normally required to graduate under the provisions of the college catalog in effect at the time of matriculation or since the student began continuous enrollment at Hartwick.

Continuous enrollment is defined as being enrolled in classes without a break of two or more consecutive regular semesters.

However, in certain circumstance, a student may change his or her major catalog year at the discretion of the Registrar or the department in which a student is pursuing a major. A student must indicate this change in writing to the Office of the Registrar when changing a major. If a student does not indicate catalog year when changing a major, his or her catalog year will be retained based on matriculation year. A student should consult with his or her advisor before modifying a catalog year.

Students must use a single catalog and not a combination of catalogs for graduation. In cases when required courses are no longer taught by the college, the appropriate academic department may designate a reasonable substitute.

Change of Name and/or Address

Current students who change their permanent home address are expected to complete a request in writing and submit it to the Office of the Registrar. Students who have moved and who have not submitted a change of address in writing are not exempt from the consequences of failing to receive official College notices and communications. Delays in notifying the Office of the Registrar of address changes may cause delays in the handling of student records and in notifying students in cases of emergency. Note that official College correspondence is mailed to the permanent home address of record for current students. Students that have not yet matriculated must contact the Office of Admissions to change the permanent home address. Students that have graduated must contact the Office of Institutional Advancement to change the permanent home address.

A legal name change must be accompanied by a copy of a legal document authorizing the change when submitting a request in writing. Once a legal change of name occurs due to marriage, divorce, or other reasons, an information change form should be promptly filed with the Office of the Registrar.

A student may also request a change in preferred name if a legal name change is not warranted. Changing the preferred name does not require the same legal documentation – in fact, a student need only submit the request to the Office of the Registrar in writing and, as long as the preferred name is not for purposes of misrepresentation, it will be changed. In addition, students may also indicate a preferred name prefix (Mr., Ms., Miss, etc.). Once a preferred name is changed, it will be reflected on all class and grade rosters. Note that the legal name of record will still be used on official transcripts, federal and state financial aid reports, enrollment verifications, payroll, and other legally binding documents.

Further descriptions of the type of required documentation, by reason, are as follows:

A student who wishes to change a name because of divorce must present a court order as evidence that the divorce decree has been granted. A woman may resume her maiden name after divorce only if such change has been authorized by the court.

Immigrant Students
These students may not change to names which do not appear on their passports. Thus, a passport is sufficient documentation for a name change.

All Others
All other students are permitted to change their names without court order by completing a change of information form and presenting proper verification of the new name. This verification must be one of the following pieces of identification showing that a new name has been legally adopted by the student.

  • Driver’s License
  • DMV Identification Card
  • Marriage Certificate
  • Passport
  • Legal Court Document
  • Birth Certificate
  • Alien Registration Card

This proof is required for all changes, even if the student is adding or dropping one of the following:

  • I, II, III, IV, Jr., Sr. or some other suffix to the name
  • Middle name or initial
  • Hyphen (Clearwater to Clear-Water)

A student or former student who has received a bachelor’s degree from the College may not have the name changed on that portion of the record preceding the award of any such degree without presenting a court order and paying a processing fee for the printing and mailing of the replacement diploma bearing the new name. New students should contact the Office of Admissions to process any relevant name changes prior to matriculation.

Change of Grade

Once a final grade has been submitted to and verified by the Office of the Registrar, it cannot be changed without authorization from the Committee on Academic Standards. The student is responsible for requesting a grade change from an instructor within 15 days of grade verification. If a grade change is warranted, the instructor of record must submit a Grade Change Request to the Office of the Registrar for consideration by the Committee on Academic Standards. Notice of the Committee’s decision is sent, in writing, to the student and instructor.

No grade changes are permitted after a student graduates.

Class Absences Policy

At Hartwick, students are responsible for regular class attendance and are accountable for all work missed because of class absences. Instructors normally list attendance policies on course syllabi that are distributed at the beginning of the term. Students should be aware that in some classes there are no excused absences for any reason. Instructors may request students to provide reasons for absences and are under no obligation to make special arrangements for students who are absent. Students are expected to communicate directly with instructors regarding absences except in the following instances:

Illness: Faculty will be notified by the Perrella Wellness Center if a student is admitted to a hospital facility. When a student returns home without prior consultation with the Director of the Perrella Wellness Center, documentation from the attending physician must be received prior to notification of faculty. Absences for illness that does not require admittance to a medical facility are to be reported by the student directly to the instructor who may or may not count them as excused.

Medical Leave: Faculty will be notified by the Perrella Wellness Center if a student is granted a medical leave.

Death: Faculty will be notified by the Office of Student Experience if a student is away due to the death of a family member (parent, sibling, grandparent). The student or a member of the family should report this information to the Vice President of Student Experience prior to departure from campus.

General Leave: Advisors will be notified by the Office of the Registrar if a student is granted a general leave.

Other than medical or general leaves, whether or not absences are excused is at the discretion of the faculty member. As noted above, there are some classes where attendance is so critical that it may not be possible to remain in the course even though the absences are legitimate and excused.

Observance of religious holidays (as provided in the New York State Education Law Section 224-A): Students who are compelled for religious reasons to be absent on a particular day for registration, class or an examination will be excused and given an equivalent opportunity to make up the requirements, provided that the student notifies the Instructor (or the Office of Academic Affairs) as soon as the student becomes aware of the conflict and no later than one week prior to the absence.

Classification of Students

  • Freshman-fewer than 30 academic credits completed
  • Sophomore-30 through 59 academic credits completed
  • Junior-60 through 89 academic credits completed
  • Senior-minimum of 90 academic credits completed

College Honors

To complete the Honors Program, and to be recommended by the Honors Program Committee for College Honors upon graduation, a student must be admitted to the program and successfully complete all Honors Program requirements. Each student must graduate with at least a 3.5 cumulative grade point average to receive College Honors. Successful completion of the College Honors Program is designated on the student’s transcript.

Commencement Participation

Students may participate in the May commencement ceremony if they are registered in the Spring Term of their senior year for an approved program of studies, which, if completed with suitable grades, will fulfill all degree requirements. Students completing all degree requirements in December or February of a given academic year may participate in the May ceremony of that academic year, but must notify the Registrar in writing of their intent to do so. Students that have fifteen (15) credit hours or fewer remaining toward completion of their degree(s) may request permission from the Registrar to participate in the May commencement. A student may only participate in one commencement ceremony.

Students that complete all degree requirements in September (e.g. finish over the summer) are eligible to participate in the previous May ceremony, but must submit an application for graduation to the Office of the Registrar indicating their intent.

Course Cancellation

The college does not guarantee offering all or any of the courses listed in the college catalog. When there is inadequate registration for a course (generally less than 8 students), it may be cancelled without notice. The Registrar and/or Department Chair will notify all affected students of course cancellations before the first meeting of the course by email and in writing to the student’s campus mailbox.

Dean’s List

To be eligible for a Fall Term or Spring Term Dean’s List, a student must complete within that term at least 12 academic credits, earning a term grade point average of at least 3.5. Any student with a grade of Incomplete in any course in that term other than Senior Project/Thesis is not eligible for Dean’s List. Dean’s List is issued only at the end of Fall and Spring terms (not for summer sessions or January Term – note that January Term grades/credits are not included for Spring term Dean’s List eligibility).

Deletion of Courses from Final Grade Point Average

In order to meet the minimum 2.00 cumulative and major grade point averages required for graduation, a senior may elect during his or her final term to exclude from the final cumulative grade point average any course not needed to meet graduation requirements (including total number of academic credits). Such grades will still be shown on the transcript but will not be calculated within the final cumulative grade point average. Such requests must be submitted, in writing, to the Registrar. If a student does not meet the minimum grade point average for a major, he or she must make arrangements with the Chair of his or her department to achieve a 2.000 and must communicate the arrangement, in writing, to the Registrar. A notation appears next to each excluded course on the student’s transcript.

Departmental Distinction

Students are awarded Departmental Distinction upon completion of a degree if they have met all of the following requirements:

  1. Earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.3;
  2. Earned a grade point average of at least 3.5 in the major;
  3. Completed a departmental capstone with a grade of at least A-;
  4. Met any other requirements as specified in the Hartwick College Catalog by individual

Each department will indicate in the College Catalog which courses either within or outside the department count toward requirement two above.

Notice of Departmental Distinction is entered on a student’s permanent record and appears on the transcript.

Individual Student Program Distinction

A student who, at the time of graduation, has met the following standards may be awarded a degree with Individual Student Program Distinction upon recommendation of the Interdisciplinary Studies Committee and with the approval of the Committee on Academic Standards:

  1. Has the approval of the Program Advisor and Advisory Committee;
  2. Has earned an overall GPA of 3.5 or higher in the courses constituting the area of concentration;
  3. Completed a senior project with a grade of at least A-; and
  4. Has earned a cumulative average of at least 3.0.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and its implementing regulations, as amended (collectively, FERPA), afford students certain rights with respect to their education records.
  • The right to inspect and review the student’s educational records within a reasonable time, not to exceed 45 days, of the day the college receives his/her request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The college official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and the place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the college official to whom the request was submitted, that official will advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  • The right to request the amendment of the student’s educational records that the student believes to be inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights. A student seeking amendment of his/her education record should write the college official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record he/she wants changed, and specify why it is inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of his/her privacy rights. If the college decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the college will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his/her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when he/she requests a hearing, or otherwise upon request. If the hearing results in a final determination not to amend the record, the student is permitted to place a statement with the record commenting on the contested information, stating his/her disagreement with the decision not to amend the record, or both.
  • The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. Set forth below is information about circumstances in which FERPA authorizes such disclosures.  The college  reserves the right to make disclosures of information from education records without a student’s consent in these and other circumstances in which such disclosures are permitted by FERPA. 

    One exception which permits disclosures without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the university has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his/her tasks; or a person volunteering or otherwise performing services for the College. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his/her responsibilities to the university.

    Another exception permits the University to disclose a student’s education records without consent to officials of another university, college or school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll, or is already enrolled, for purposes of the student’s enrollment or transfer.

    Another exception permits the disclosure of “directory information” without a student’s consent unless the student has followed the steps described below. “Directory information” includes the student’s name, class year, address, telephone listing, e-mail address, date and place of birth, enrollment status (e.g., undergraduate or graduate, full-time or part-time), major field of study, identification number, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, photographs or other visual images, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, the most previous educational agency or institution attended by the student, and other information that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed.

    A student has the right to withhold the public release of any or all directory information directly pertaining to him/her by giving reasonable advance written notice to the Registrar by the end of the second week of classes.

  • The right to file a complaint concerning alleged failures by the College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. Any questions or concerns pertaining to Hartwick’s compliance with FERPA should be referred to the Office of the Registrar. The Registrar will promptly review all such allegations and initiate appropriate actions. In addition, complaints regarding alleged violations by the university of FERPA may be submitted to:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Dept. of Education 
400 Maryland Avenue SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-5920

Additional information on FERPA, including specific Hartwick College policies and definitions, is found here.

Final Grade Reports

Final grades are reported electronically at the end of each term. Hartwick College does not mail official grade reports to a student’s permanent home address unless instructed, in writing, by the student. Such requests must be made to the Office of the Registrar and are in effect until rescinded by the student.

Full- and Part-Time Student Status

A matriculated student is one accepted by the College to work full- or part-time toward a degree. A full-time matriculated student is expected to comply with the Course Load policy (listed elsewhere in the catalog) which requires a minimum enrollment of 12 credits in fall and spring terms and 3 credits in January. Part time status is defined as any credit load less than full time in fall, spring or January terms. All matriculated students must abide by the regulations established by the faculty and enforced by the Chief Academic Officer and the Committee on Academic Standards. All matriculated degree seeking students must provide evidence of high school (or equivalent) completion in order to matriculate into a degree program (Hartwick requires an official high school transcript for this purpose). In addition to a high school transcript, all degree seeking transfer students must provide evidence of matriculation at all previously attended post-secondary institutions by submitting official transcripts from those institutions.  Since Hartwick is designed primarily as a residential institution for full-time students, exceptions to the full-time status will be granted only in cases falling within the following categories: 

  • Students admitted as part-time matriculated students because of an unusual need. An example would be a student who, for financial reasons, cannot afford full-time status or has a documented medical condition that prevents carrying a full time course load. Students in these or similar circumstances may be admitted as part-time students upon approval of the Director of Admissions and Registrar.
  • Full-time students who wish to change to part-time matriculated status for one or more terms after enrollment at the College for the following reasons:
    • Continuation of study at the College past the normal four-year period.
    • Enrollment in a final term requiring only part-time load to complete all degree requirements.
    • Special, validated health problems permitting part-time, not full-time, study.
    • Unforeseeable financial emergency.

Full-time students wishing to transition to part-time status for the reasons listed above must request approval for part-time status from the Office of the Registrar. Full-time students who wish to transition to part-time status for reasons not listed above must petition the Committee on Academic Standards for approval. Part-time students wishing to transition to full-time status must request approval for full-time status from  the Office of the Registrar.


Grades are due 48 hours after the last exam or meeting time and are awarded according to the following scale:

A: indicates original or independent thinking, a command of the interrelationships within the subject, the ability to apply the principles learned, a mastery of the subject matter and clarity of expression. Grade points per credit: A = 4.0, A- = 3.7.

B: indicates a mastery of the subject matter, an understanding of the fundamentals and their interrelationships, the ability to apply that knowledge and to express it clearly. Grade points per credit: B+ = 3.3, B = 3.0, B- = 2.7.

C: indicates an acceptable knowledge of the course content, an understanding of the fundamental principles and a reasonable ability to apply them. Grade points per credit: C+ = 2.3, C = 2.0, C- = 1.7.

D: indicates minimal knowledge and understanding of the course content, with a limited ability to apply the principles learned. Grade points per credit: D+ = 1.3, D = 1.0, D- = 0.7.

F: indicates that the work was not satisfactorily completed. Grade points per credit: F = 0.0.

I: at the discretion of the instructor, a grade of incomplete may be issued. An incomplete grade indicates that the coursework was incomplete at the end of the term and that the instructor granted additional time to complete the work or additional time was required for grading practices. It should be understood that incompletes are issued for a number of reasons and do not necessarily indicate negligence on the part of the student and are issued at the discretion of the instructor. For the student to receive credit for the course, all work must be completed by one of the following dates, or by an earlier date as set by the instructor: Spring and Summer term courses-October 30. Fall and January term courses-March 30. If a grade is not submitted by the appropriate date, a grade of “F” will be recorded. Note that outstanding incomplete grades are immediately converted to “F” upon dismissal or withdrawal from the institution if not resolved prior to the hiatus being issued. The grade of I is not to be awarded in place of a failing grade, to intentionally delay graduation certification or issuance of a hiatus, or when the student is expected to repeat the course; in such cases, a grade other than I must be assigned.  A grade of I will only be issued upon submission of an Incomplete Explanation Form to the Office of the Registrar.

P: Pass. Indicates coursework was satisfactorily completed. Credits are earned for the class, but no grade points are awarded.  There is no impact on grade point average.

N: No-Pass. Indicates that the work was not satisfactorily completed. Credits are not earned for the class and no grade points are awarded.  There is no impact on grade point average.

Physical education and Wick 101 courses are graded on a Pass (P), No-Pass (N) basis and do not count toward the 120 academic credits required for a degree.

Additional grades:

X: indicates non-attendance in a course. The student must show to the satisfaction of the Committee on Academic Standards that he or she never attended the course or stopped attending the course and failed to withdraw with proper administrative processing. “X” does not count in the total credits attempted and does not factor in to the grade point average.

W: indicates that the student withdrew from the course by the end of the ninth week of the term for a Fall or Spring term course or by the end of the third week for a January Term course. Each instructor must provide every student with an evaluation of progress in the course so that the student may evaluate his or her status prior to the deadline for withdrawal. Withdrawals after the deadline are not permitted unless approved by the Committee on Academic Standards. “W” does not count in the total of credits attempted and does not factor in to the grade point average.

PND: used when no grade has been submitted by the instructor. The grade is pending. PND grades are used sparingly and only when extenuating circumstances prevent the instructor from issuing a final grade. A letter grade must be submitted by the instructor within one week of being issued or the PND grade will convert to an F.

AU: indicates a student has audited a course.

In addition to the grades and quality points referred to above, a faculty member may write a commentary concerning the student’s work in a class. Such statements must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar in writing; only then will they be incorporated as part of the transcript. Grades receiving comment are indicated with a ‘*’ on the transcript.

Pass/No-Pass Grading (effective April 3, 2020)

A student will be assigned a grade of Pass/No-Pass if:

  1. The course is listed in the catalog as graded on a Pass/No-Pass basis (e.g. Physical Education Skill courses); or
  2. The student elects the Pass/No-Pass grade option outlined below. For Nursing students, Pass/No-Pass can only be chosen for elective courses that are not required for the nursing major.
  • A student may take up to one academic course per term on a P/N basis; a student may take a maximum of 15 credits over the course of their undergraduate career.
  • Under certain extenuating circumstances (e.g., pandemic or other emergency declared by the College), a student may take more than one academic course per term on a P/N basis and may go over the 15-credit total P/N limit.
  • The option to convert a course from a letter grade to P/N is a matter of the student’s choice and responsibility; no student is required to use it.
  • A student who chooses this option must complete a P/N form available on the Office of the Registrar Forms web site and submit it on or before the last day to withdraw from a course. Review the Dates & Deadlines calendar for the last day to withdraw date for each term.
  • A student’s interest in using the P/N option shall not be a criterion for determining eligibility to register for a course. Instructors will not be informed if a student chooses the P/N option.
  • While in the course, the student will receive letter grades for all coursework completed, including a final examination.
  • Once a P/N option has been selected, it cannot be converted back to a letter grade.
  • To qualify for course credit (with a recorded course grade of P), a student must earn a final grade of D- or better. If a student earns a final grade of F for the course the transcript will show the designation N.
  • P/N grades do not enter into the computation of the overall grade point average but are included in a student’s total attempted credits.

Grade Appeal

A student should have protection against prejudicial and capricious grading. The following policy is established for reviewing complaints about end-of-term grades: the student shall first consult the professor and Department Chair; if no agreement is reached, the student may then bring the case to the Committee on Academic Standards. The Committee shall serve as a review board and, if a change seems justified, the Committee shall be empowered to recommend a change of grade to the professor.

January Term Participation

First year (freshmen) students that matriculate in the fall term are required to register for at least three academic credits in the January Term of their first academic year. Registering for a course in January Term, although not required, is highly recommended for non-first year students. Any student that does not wish to register for a course in January Term must file a leave of absence with the Registrar’s Office. A first year student requesting a leave must have it approved by the Registrar. If a student does not file a leave of absence and does not register for a course in January Term, he or she will be unofficially withdrawn from the institution in compliance with the policy on Unofficial Withdrawal.

Missed Class

Rationale for College-wide Missed Class Policy

Hartwick College believes that extra-curricular and co-curricular activities are an integral part of the liberal arts and is dedicated to supporting these experiences for all students. These extra and co-curricular events include: athletics, conference attendance and presentations, registered club events, and career-related interviews.  The purpose of a Missed Class Policy is to create a consistent policy which reduces conflict between students needing to participate in extracurricular and co-curricular activities and professors and balances academic integrity and fairness for all students.  

Missed Class Policy

In support of extracurricular and co-curricular participation Hartwick College recognizes the fact that students may occasionally encounter conflicts with attending classes. If they follow the policies and procedures described below, then they will be excused from classes when they are officially representing the College in athletic competition in season, participating in club-sponsored conferences and presentations, or presenting at academic conferences or other significant extracurricular or co-curricular events. Habitual absences from class due to extracurricular or co-curricular events may jeopardize a student’s ability to succeed in a class. Therefore, students should avoid scheduling classes in times which would habitually conflict with extracurricular or co-curricular activities.

Students will provide each instructor with an agreement letter prior to the end of the first week of the semester (or by the second day of January term) notifying them that they may occasionally have to miss class for an event or competition and will work with the faculty member to complete any missed assignments. In the event that an activity is not known prior to the drop/add period the student will notify the instructor as soon as they are aware of the conflict.

In all cases and for all activities students will present the faculty member with a hard copy of a letter detailing the activity, dates of the activity and acknowledgement of the class assignments that will be missed and date for submission of any course work. Students are expected to notify their instructors in whose courses they will be missing academic work — preferably two weeks before each absence from class — due to extra-curricular or co-curricular participation. When applicable, the letter also will be signed by appropriate college personnel coordinating the event and will be accompanied by a schedule of conflicting times and will include anticipated departure times.  For athletic competitions, students will be excused from class an hour before the scheduled departure time when traveling to away games and an hour before the start of a home competition.  In cases in which a student will miss more class sessions than what is outlined in the class syllabus (e.g. 3 absences are allowed), the student will not be disadvantaged by having the final grade reduced due to representing the College as long as all missed work is completed.

All work that was due on the day of the missed class will be given to the instructor at a time decided on by the instructor. While some lab periods cannot be administered at a later time, students should be informed of the class expectations upon the first day of class for all classes with a lab component.  If expectations are clearly defined on the first day of class, students will be required to plan accordingly in the knowledge that there may or may not be some flexibility with the lab component.

After discussing the absence and the process for completing missed work or submitting assignments with the faculty member, the student will sign the agreement letter which will remain with the instructor.

In the case that a student and instructor cannot find agreement on the missed class, the student or faculty member can request a discussion with the coach, Athletics Director, Faculty Athletics Representative, or Student Life Representative in order to seek a resolution.  In cases where a resolution cannot be found, the student or faculty member can request a review and discussion by a Missed Class Mediation Board comprising one member of the faculty, one staff member, and one student. The Missed Class Mediation Board will seek to find a compromise which is beneficial to both student and faculty but does not undermine academic integrity or extra-curricular and co-curricular participation.

Official Transcripts

A permanent transcript for each student is maintained by the Office of the Registrar. Each student is entitled to one certified transcript of college credits without cost upon graduation (this is included with the diploma). A fee is charged for each additional transcript. The Office of the Registrar does not issue unofficial transcripts to students. Students may obtain an unofficial transcript via their WebAdvisor accounts.

No transcript of a student’s permanent record will be issued without written authorization from the student. No telephone, fax or third-party requests will be honored. Members of the faculty or administration may have access to the records if they have a legitimate interest in and demonstrate a need for the information.

College policy permits the withholding of a transcript until a student’s debts, including library and traffic fines, have been paid.

Transcript Notations

New York Enough is Enough law requires Hartwick College to make specific notations on the transcripts of respondents found responsible for the following prohibited conduct: sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking. 

  • Students suspended after a finding of responsibility will receive the following notation on their transcript: “suspended after a finding of responsibility for a code of conduct violation.” Such notations will remain for at least one year after the conclusion of the suspension, at which point a suspended student can seek removal of the notation by appealing to the Vice President for Student Experience.
  • Students expelled after a finding of responsibility will receive the following notation on their transcript: “expelled after a finding of responsibility for a code of conduct violation.” Such notation shall not be eligible for removal.
  • Students who withdraw pending resolution of alleged violations of this Policy will receive the following notation on their transcript: “withdrew with conduct charges pending.” Such notation shall not be eligible for removal unless the charges are later resolved.
  • If the College vacates a finding of responsibility for any reason, any such transcript notation shall be removed.

Overall Average Honors

Upon degree completion, students are awarded degrees with honor as follows:

  • Summa cum laude-3.850 or higher cumulative grade point average
  • Magna cum laude-3.650 or higher cumulative grade point average
  • Cum laude-3.400 or higher cumulative grade point average

A student who has transferred academic credit to Hartwick College is eligible to graduate with honors only if the grade point average for the student’s entire college career, including grades received for transfer courses, falls into one of the categories above. In accordance with the Access to Release Educational Records policy found elsewhere on this page, students may request to view transcripts on file from non-Hartwick institutions at any time.

Readmission (from Withdrawal, Academic Dismissal or for a Second Degree)

Any student who has withdrawn, been academically dismissed from the institution or is interested in returning to complete a second degree after graduation is eligible to apply for readmission. A student applying for readmission must submit a readmission application at least 15 business days prior to the start of a term.

To be considered for readmission, a student must complete the following steps prior to the desired term of reentry:

  1. Complete and submit the Application for Readmission form to the Office of the Registrar.
  2. Request that official transcripts from colleges or universities attended while away from Hartwick College to be sent to the Office of the Registrar at least one week prior to the start of the desired reentry term.
  3. If you are applying for readmission from an academic dismissal you must provide an additional essay describing any and all activities in which you have been engaged during your time away from Hartwick that you believe will contribute positively to achieving your academic goals.

The readmission review process begins when all application materials have been received. Readmission applications are reviewed by the Registrar and Dean of Student Life.

Please note: A student who was academically dismissed is eligible to apply readmission through the Office of the Registrar with acceptance decisions subject to approval by CAS.

A student who has graduated from Hartwick and wishes to return to complete a second degree must apply for readmission through the Registrar’s Office. Upon readmission the student is considered a transfer and up to 60 of his or her prior Hartwick credits may be applied toward the new degree.

Second Degree
effective July 1, 2014
Students who wish to earn two degrees must satisfy the major requirements of a department in each area and complete an additional 30 credits for a total of at least 150 credits. Performance music credits beyond 12 credits WICK 101, Transfer Transitions, and Physical Education credits do not count toward this requirement. It is assumed that students pursuing this option will complete an extra year of study. Students may only pursue a Bachelor of Arts (BA) with a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree under this policy. Pursuing two Bachelor of Arts or two Bachelor of Science degrees is not permitted.

Special Students (Non-Degree Seeking, Part Time Students)

In special cases students who are not matriculated at Hartwick or other institutions may be admitted as part-time students (taking no more than 8 credits in the fall and spring terms, and 4 credits in January term). The standards for admission for special students are comparable to those that govern those who apply for matriculated status.

Students with no Hartwick affiliation desiring special student status must contact the Admissions Office for an application.  High school (or equivalent) students wishing to enroll must contact the Office of Academic Affairs for an application. Students with a Hartwick affiliation (spouse, parent, etc.) desiring special student status must contact the Office of Office of the Registrar for an application. Special students will be required to provide official collegiate transcripts and may be requested to provide official secondary school transcripts with test scores prior to admission. Upon acceptance, students may register in classes on a space-available basis, with instructor approval, assuming they have satisfied course prerequisites. 

Special students must submit a special student application each term in order to remain active. If an application is not received for the term immediately following the first term a student registers for a course, he or she is made inactive. 

Standards of NYS Student Aid Eligibility

Academic Eligibility for NYS Student Aid (including scholarships and TAP): The following academic eligibility requirements apply for the granting of New York State student aid:

Enrollment Requirements
Awards are granted only to full-time matriculated students. According to state guidelines, full-time students must enroll for a minimum of 12 credits for the Fall Term and 12 credits for the January/Spring terms. Repeating a course does not count toward the required number of courses for that term. The State Education Department permits the January Term to be used with the Spring Term only and it cannot be used to make up a Fall Term deficiency. Every recipient must have a major declared or an ISP approved by the end of the sophomore year. Failure to meet enrollment requirements results in loss of the award for that term.

Program Pursuit

Satisfactory program pursuit is defined as receiving a passing or failing grade in a certain percentage of afull-time course load in each term for which an award is received. The percentage increases from 50 percent of the minimum full-time course load in each term of study in the first year for which an award is received, to 75 percent of the minimum full-time course load in each term of study in the second year for which an award is received, to 100 percent of the minimum full-time course load in each term thereafter.

Students must complete (with a grade of A, B, C, D or F) a minimum number of courses each term as follows:

  • 6 credits per term in the first year an award is received;
  • 9 credits per term in the second year an award is received;
  • 12 credits per term each term thereafter.

Incompletes are permitted if the course is finished prior to the end of the next term.

In addition, a certain number of credits must be accrued (successfully completed with grades of A, B, C or D) and a minimum cumulative GPA attained each term as follows:

Before being certified for this payment 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Minimum number of credits accrued 0 3 9 21 33 45 60 75 90 105
Minimum GPA 0 1.1 1.2 1.3 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0

For Students first receiving aid in 2010-11 and thereafter.

Before being certified for this payment 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th
Minimum number of credits accrued 0 6 15 27 39 51 66 81 96 111
Minimum GPA 0 1.5 1.8 1.8 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0

Failure to meet program pursuit or satisfactory academic progress requirements results in the loss of the award for the subsequent term. A student may request a waiver of the above standards ONLY ONE TIME as an undergraduate. Request will be considered on an individual basis and granted only for exceptional or extraordinary circumstances relating to death of a close relative, serious personal illness or injury, or other personal extenuating circumstances. The request for waiver will be reviewed and determined by the certifying officer and the Registrar.

For information regarding New York State Awards, contact the Higher Education Services Corporation, Office of Grants and Awards, 99 Washington Avenue, Albany, New York 12255,, or your high school guidance counselor.

Student Grievances

The following policy is established for reviewing any concern a student has about an instructor that is not grade-related: Under most circumstances the student shall first consult the instructor, and if no resolution is reached, then the student should bring the concern to the Department Chair.* (If for any reason a student is not comfortable approaching their instructor, the process will begin with the Department Chair.) The Department chair will first determine if the concern should be referred to another office (e.g., Student Experience, HR, Title IX), if not, then the Chair will work to find a resolution. If meeting with the Department Chair does not resolve the issue, then the student may bring the concern to the Dean of Academic Affairs, who will determine a resolution and communicate that resolution to the student,the faculty member, and the Department Chair.

*Note: in the event that the instructor involved is the department chair, then the student should approach the Dean of Academic Affairs.

Visiting Students

Visiting students are matriculated students in good standing at other campuses who wish to pursue coursework at Hartwick that is uniquely relevant to their educational programs. Visiting students may enroll in a normal course load at Hartwick, so long as they have explicit permission from their home colleges. Such students must submit an official statement documenting their status in good standing and the approval of the Dean or other designated authority from the student’s home institution to the Office of the Registrar. No other application information is required. If a visiting student subsequently applies for regular admission to Hartwick, full admissions documentation must be presented.

Waiver of Academic Requirements

Requests for waivers of academic requirements must be made via petition to the Committee on Academic Standards. Petitions must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar for review by the Committee. Requests for waivers of Liberal Arts in Practice general education requirements must be made to the Dean of Academic Affairs. Requests for waivers of First Year Seminar or WICK-101 requirements must be made to the Center for Student Success. In each case, if a waiver is approved, the Office of the Registrar is notified in writing by the party issuing the waiver. After notification, the waiver is processed and reflected on the student’s academic record.

Waiver of Foreign Language Requirement

International students whose first language is not English or who spoke at home a language other than English will be waived from the foreign language requirement. This waiver can include students from countries whose official language is English if the preceding conditions are fulfilled.

If a U.S. citizen was born elsewhere, attended secondary school in that country, and studied a language other than English, s/he may be waived from the foreign language requirement based on the secondary school document.

U.S. students are required to fulfill the foreign language requirement. If a student speaks a language other than English at home, s/he may take a proficiency test in that language to fulfill the requirement.

Waiver of Physical Education Requirement

Any student aged 25 or over is eligible for a waiver of the general education Physical Education Requirement. Eligible students wishing to request a waiver must submit their request, in writing, to the Office of the Registrar.

Academic Credit Policies

Advanced Placement Credit

Hartwick College offers advanced placement credit for most scores of three or better on the Advanced Placement Exams of the College Board. Several Advanced Placement tests have been designated by academic programs as equivalent to one or more Hartwick courses. If an Advanced Placement test is not designated equivalent to a Hartwick course or courses, credits toward the general education curriculum or elective credit may still be offered. AP transcripts must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar so that credit may be awarded.

The following equivalencies are subject to change as periodic reviews of placement exams and credit policies are conducted.

Dept AP Exam Required Score Course Equivalent #Credits Awarded General Education Requirement*
ART Studio Art 3+ ART-AP 4 Humanities
ART 2-D Design 3+ ART-AP2 3 Humanities
ART 3-D Design 3+ ART-AP3 3 Humanities
ART Drawing 3+ ART-AP4 3 Humanities
ART General Art 3+ ART-AP5 3 Humanities
ART Art History 3+ ARTH-AP 3 Humanities
BIOL Biology 4 See Note Below** 4 Physical&Life Science
CHEM Chemistry 4 CHEM-APL 3 Physical&Life Science
CISC Computer Science A 3 CISC-120 4 Physical&Life Science and QFR
CISC Computer Science Principles 3+ CISC-AP 3 Physical&Life Science and QFR
ECON Economics-Macro 4+ ECON-102 3 Social&Behavioral Sciences
ECON Economics-Micro 4+ ECON-101 3 Social&Behavioral Sciences
ENTA English Lit and Comp 3+ ENGL-AP 3 Humanities
ENTA English Lang and Comp 3+ ENGL-AP2 3 Humanities
HIST European History 3+ HIST-AP 3 Social&Behavioral Sciences
HIST US History 3+ HIST-AP2 3 Social&Behavioral Sciences
HIST World History 3+ HIST-AP3 3 Social&Behavioral Sciences
MATH Calculus AB 3+ MATH-121 4 Physical&Life Sciences and QFR
MATH Calculus BC 3+ MATH-121 and MATH-235 7 Physical&Life Sciences and QFR
MATH Statistics 3+ MATH-108 3 Physical&Life Sciences and QFR
MOCL Chinese Lang and Culture 3 CHIN-101 3 FL Requirement
MOCL Chinese Lang and Culture 4+ CHIN-101  & CHIN-102 6 FL Requirement
MOCL French Lang and Culture 3 FREN-101 3 FL Requirement
MOCL French Lang and Culture 4+ FREN-101 and FREN-102 6 FL Requirement
MOCL German Lang and Culture 3 GERM-101 3 FL Requirement
MOCL German Lang and Culture 4+ GERM-101 and GERM-102 6 FL Requirement
MOCL Italian Lang and Culture 3 LANG-AP 3 FL Requirement
MOCL Italian Lang and Culture 4+ LANG-AP2 6 FL Requirement
MOCL Japanese Lang and Culture 3 LANG-AP3 3 FL Requirement
MOCL Japanese Lang and Culture 4+ LANG-AP4 6 FL Requirement
MOCL Latin 3 LANG-AP5 3 FL Requirement
MOCL Latin 4+ LANG-AP6 6 FL Requirement
MOCL Spanish Lang 3 SPAN-101 3 FL Requirement
MOCL Spanish Lang 4+ SPAN-101 and SPAN-102 6 FL Requirement
MUSI Music Theory 3+ MUSI-140 3 Humanities
NDEP Human Geography 3+ SCIE-AP 3 Elective Credit
PHYS Physics 1: Algebra-based 3+ PHYS-AP 3 Physical&Life Sciences
PHYS Physics 2: Algebra-based 3+ PHYS-AP2 3 Physical&Life Sciences
PHYS Physics B 3+ PHYS-140 and PHYS-141 8 Physical&Life Sciences
PHYS Physics C: Mechanics 3+ PHYS-201 4 Physical&Life Sciences
PHYS Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism 3+ PHYS-202 4 Physical&Life Sciences
POSC Government and Politics: United States 3+ POSC-101 3 Social&Behavioral Sciences
POSC Government and Politics: Comparative 3+ POSC-AP 3 Social&Behavioral Sciences
PSYC Psychology 3 PSYC-AP 3 Social&Behavioral Sciences
PSYC Psychology 4+ PSYC-110 OR PSYC-111*** 3 Social&Behavioral Sciences
SCIE Environmental Science 3+ SCIE-AP2 3 Physical&Life Sciences

*Credit is applied to the requirement listed in this column. FL = foreign language, QFR = quantitative and formal reasoning. Elective credit = credit not applied to specific general education requirement but does count toward the overall 120 academic credits required for graduation.

**Students with AP credit must still take BIOL101. For a BIOL score of 4 or better, 202 OR 203 are WAIVED if an A is achieved in BIOL 101.

***Students with a score of 4+ get to choose if they want AP Psychology to count as PSYC-110 or PSYC-111

A-Level and AS Level Exams

Hartwick awards credit for Advanced Level and Advanced Level Subsidiary Exams.

In general, up to 6 academic credits will be granted for each A-level exam with a passing grade. Up to 3 academic credits will be granted for each AS-level exam with a passing grade. No more than 30 academic credits from all A-level and AS-level exams may be applied to a Hartwick degree.

Liberal Arts in Practice divisional and general elective credits will be awarded for each exam. Credit is not directly awarded for specific Hartwick courses unless approved by an academic department Chair.

No grades are posted for A-level or AS-level credit awards.

Advanced credit policies are reviewed on a regular basis and are subject to change without notice.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Credit is offered through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) under specified conditions for students who have acquired mastery of a subject through experience or other avenues outside the traditional classroom setting. Approval of a particular exam for credit must be confirmed, in writing, by the Registrar, using the Request for Non-Hartwick Course Approval form. Approval must be obtained prior to completion of a CLEP exam. Credit is only awarded for subject exams, not for general exams. Equivalencies are subject to change as periodic reviews of exams and credit policies are conducted.

Hartwick adheres to ACE scoring guidelines for awarding of credit. Click here to read more.

Credit for Prior Experiential Learning

Prior experiential learning is learning acquired outside of a formal academic setting. It provides knowledge, understanding, or intellectual skills expected of students who pursue a baccalaureate degree at a liberal arts and sciences college and takes place prior to admission. Prior experiential learning usually results from independent reading or study from employment, from serving an internship or from some other related activity. To obtain credit for prior experiential learning, students must be able to articulate in some acceptable way what they have learned and must be able to demonstrate that it is equivalent to the academic work done by college students. Credit will only be granted for experiences occurring after the completion of high school.

Students who have been accepted for admission by the College and who desire credit for prior experiential learning must submit an application (available in the Office of the Registrar) to the Chair of the department in which credit is being sought. The Department Chair shall evaluate the application or submit it to other academic departments or to the appropriate faculty committee for further evaluation. The evaluation will include a personal interview and whatever form of demonstration is necessary to determine whether academic credit (without grades) should be awarded. If the application is approved, it will be forwarded to the Office of the Registrar for final approval by the Registrar and processing and to the Office of Student Accounts for collection of the Experiential Credit award fee. If approved, the experiential credit is added to the student’s record with a grade of ‘CR’.

No more than 30 credits for prior experiential learning may be included in credits required for graduation. No more than 60 credits earned through the combination of transfer credit, equivalency examinations and prior experiential learning may be applied toward a Hartwick degree.

Credit for College Courses

Transfer credit from nationally and regionally accredited colleges is given for courses substantially similar to those offered at Hartwick College, completed with a grade of C or higher, or the equivalent, regardless of mode of delivery. A student may only transfer in 75 credits toward a Hartwick College degree with the exception of students enrolled in the Nursing Partnership Program (PNOP) who may transfer in up to 90. Grades for courses taken elsewhere are included when determining a student’s eligibility for honors at Commencement but are not posted on the transcript. A grade of ‘CR’ (credit) is entered for all transfer courses. Credit earned for transfer courses is posted on the student’s transcript and counts toward the overall number of academic credits required for graduation. Credit awarded at Hartwick is equal to the number of credits earned at the institution where credit was earned. For example, a three credit course completed at another institution is transferred in as three Hartwick credits, regardless of the credit value of the Hartwick course it is equated to.  The Office of the Registrar is responsible for evaluating all transfer credit for new and current students, and the final decision on whether or not to allow a course to transfer lies with the Registrar.

Hartwick accepts Mathematics credit for transfer courses below the pre-calculus level but does not count those courses (like algebra) toward the Liberal Arts in Practice curriculum. Hartwick does not count transfer courses towards the Writing Requirement (e.g. a Composition Course completed at another institution cannot be used to satisfy ENGL 110 Composition at Hartwick). Courses that are too technical in nature or too dissimilar from courses at Hartwick, like courses for Electrical Engineering or Microsoft Excel for Budgeting, are not eligible for transfer. As previously stated, courses must be similar to those offered at Hartwick to be eligible for transfer.

Hartwick College generally will honor the associate of arts or associate of science degree from accredited colleges by offering the equivalent of two years of credit. Associate degree candidates who are admitted must meet the Hartwick College graduation requirements; it is possible that this may take longer than two years in some cases.

Courses Taken Elsewhere by Current Students
Any course a student wishes to transfer after he or she has matriculated must be approved by the Registrar. A course intended to count toward a declared major must also be approved by the Chair of the Department in which the credit will apply (these courses must also be approved by the Registrar, however). A course intended to count toward the Liberal Arts in Practice (LAiP) general education curriculum or as an elective must be approved by the Registrar. Approval by a Department Chair is not required for LAiP or elective courses.

All requests for course approval must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar using the Non-Hartwick Course Approval form. Incomplete forms will not be accepted. After submission to the Office of the Registrar please allow a minimum of two business days for a decision.

Process for Requesting Transfer Credit Approval – Current Students

  1. Select courses that will transfer to major, as LAiP requirements or as electives. Do so by finding courses that are similar to those offered at Hartwick.
  2. Obtain a Non-Hartwick Course Approval form (available online or in the Registrar’s Office). Fill out the form completely and attach detailed course descriptions.
  3. Obtain signatures for courses in the major.
  4. Return the completed form to the Registrar’s Office.
  5. Wait two business days for a decision. When a copy of the approved form is received, check to see that ALL courses have been approved. If a course has not been approved, credit will not be awarded for it.
  6. If a course was not approved, select another and follow the steps above.

Transfer Credit Approval Process for New Students
New or incoming students must submit transcripts of courses completed, showing final grades, to the Office of Admissions. Once Admissions receives the transcripts they will be sent to a Transfer Credit Evaluator for review. The Transfer Credit Evaluator will determine which courses are eligible for transfer and contact the student with a final transfer credit equivalency report showing how the transfer credit will apply to the Hartwick degree within five business days. The Transfer Credit Evaluator may contact the student if he or she requires more information to determine how to apply specific courses to the degree program (this is usually accomplished by requesting a course description).

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Hartwick recognizes the International Baccalaureate Diploma for purposes of admission. Course credit will be granted for most higher-level (HL) and standard-level (SL) subjects with grades of 4 or better. Equivalencies are subject to change as periodic reviews of exams and credit policies are conducted. Below is a listing of IB courses with Hartwick equivalencies.

IB Course Minimum Grade Required
Hartwick Credits Awarded Hartwick Course Equivalent General Education Requirement
Anthropology (HL/SL) 4 3 ANTH-10 Social&Behavioral Sciences
Biology (HL Only) 4 3 BIOL-202 and waiver of BIOL-203 Physical&Life Sciences, Biology w/lab
Business (HL/SL) 4 3 BUSA-10 Social&Behavioral Sciences
Chemistry (HL/SL) 4 3 CHEM-10 Physical&Life Sciences, Non-Lab Chemistry
Computer Sci (HL Only) 4 3 CISC-10 Physical&Life Sciences
Dance (HL Only) 4 3 THEA-10 Humanities
Design Tech (HL Only) 4 3 GEN-1 Elective
Economics (HL Only) 4 3 ECON-10 Social&Behavioral Sciences
English A1 (HL Only) 4 3 ENGL-10 Humanities
Environmental Sys & Soc (HL Only) 4 3 GEN-1 Elective
Exercise Physiology (HL/SL) 4 3 BIOL-10L for HL (lab), BIOL-10 for SL (non-lab) Physical&Life Sciences
Film (HL Only) 4 3 HUMA-10 Humanities
French AB (HL/SL) 4 3 FREN-202 for HL, FREN-201 for SL Foreign Language
Geography (HL Only) 4 3 GEN-1 Elective
German (HL/SL) 4 3 GERM-215 for HL, GERM-214 for SL Foreign Language
History Americas (HL Only) 4 3 HIST-10 Social&Behavioral Sciences
History (HL Only) 4 3 HIST-11 Social&Behavioral Sciences
Mathematics (HL/SL) 4 3 MATH-121 for HL, MATH-120 for SL Physical&Life Sciences
Music (HL/SL) 4 3 MUSI-10 Humanities
Philosophy (HL Only) 4 3 PHIL-10 Humanities
Physics (HL Only) 4 3 PHYS-10 (non-lab) Social&Behavioral Sciences
Psychology (HL/SL) 4 3 PSYC-10 Social&Behavioral Sciences
Spanish (HL/SL) 4 3 SPAN-202 for HL, SPAN-201 for SL Foreign Language
Theatre (HL/SL) 4 3 THEA-10 Humanities
Visual Arts (HL Only) 4 3 GEN-1 Elective
World Religions (HL/SL) 4 3 RELS-10 Humanities
Theory of Knowledge 4 3 GEN-1 Elective


Back To Top